I had been reluctant to do this, mainly because I am broke. However, the three successful candidates who have come before me each had something (one BBQ and two banquety-type things), and I figure I should think twice before being the tightwad who bucks the tradition. I will be only the fourth PhD minted from this program, so that would make me the odd one out if I skin-flinted out on this one.
My one concession to my poverty is to make it potluck; I am hoping people will be charitable enough to see this for what it is - someone who cannot afford to feed a troupe of people (especially people who make vastly more money than she does), but a person who does want to share some society with them at an important time in her life.
The park gazebo, of course, is essential due to the fact I live in an apartment that can barely accommodate four guests at a time.
Despite my initial reluctance, though, I find myself excited by the prospect of celebrating. I am starting to believe this is actually going to happen... and I am shocked, leery, but also really... what's the word? Happy? Proud? All of the above?
It seems like I might actually finish this damn degree after all.
And that is cause to celebrate, in my opinion.

No comments:
Post a Comment