Tuesday, May 11, 2010

10 Days til D-Day

I am so very, very far behind on the defence prep - job hunting and postdoc apps, etc, are really sucking up my available work time these days. One doesn't really realize how long it takes to even so much as craft reference request emails and the like - a couple of those after the tot goes to bed, and I'm practically out of time before I collapse into bed.

Right now, I am scrambling to get a postdoc app to Ohio by the 20th, and the Pittsburgh postdoc is looming. There's also a handful of local teaching gigs I want to put in for - though my own department still hasn't listed their fall/winter openings (though I check every day - often twice a day)!

(Nor have they publicized my defence, so things must just be really hectic for them right now with the program review and the hiring process to fill the eastern religions position. I was thinking of whether or not I should email them and ask if they are going to send out my defence announcement to the department mailing list, but, really, why do I want that many people there?)

Still waiting to hear back from my inquiries regarding what happens over the next while since I cannot afford tuition this term, and I suspect everyone on the planet but me is on vacation. Money issues continue to weigh on me, since I am in debt and basically busted - and the job hunt is likely to get ironically expensive. However, I persevere.

Just ten days left - I have to edit up my dissertation as much as I can in case the admin assistant will kindly print me off another copy so I can coil bind it for the defence (and for re-reading), and I have yet to write out my lecture in full draft, which is becoming a bit of a crisis. However, if I do end up having my mock defence later this week (how the hell did that come up so fast?), that will provide me with the motivation to write it out and rehearse it, IhopeIhopeIhope.

Further, as always, there is more prep reading, etc, that I should be doing - of that, I think, I am hardly likely to run out.

Nevertheless, things are ok here. Tot has been eating well and being a good kid, and I am maintaining my optimism. I spotted a fruit fly today, which makes me narrow my eyes in seasonal aggravation, but won't let that bother me for now.

OK - back to work.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger