Today, I got some worrying news - my dad had to go to the hospital this morning.
Nothing too serious, I hope; he has what is known as "steakhouse syndrome" - he has a blocked esophagus way down in there and a blockage that will neither come up or go down, so he can't eat or drink until it it is removed. He can breathe ok, but it is driving him a bit nuts, as you can imagine.
Nothing major, but it's always a worry when someone in their 70s goes to hospital - the hospital is not a healthy place.
So, yeah, being a doctor isn't all that useful in this case.
UPDATE (8pm):
So my dad got fixed up and is already home - so yay for that.
But now the docs want to start poking around to find out why he got a blockage in the first place, and will not accept his "I'm old, and don't chew well enough," and have decided to start looking around for "cause" - they aren't directly saying cancer, but they specifically said they want to look because he used to chew tobacco, so...
Well, he's ok, and I don't think this is more than just doctors being cautious snoops, but it's a bit stressful. It's pretty expensive to get home from here, so my dad has never met my son. I really hope he's going to be ok.

No comments:
Post a Comment