
So this post marks the fourth month in which I have managed to post something every day (that’s over 120 days straight!). I guess the sporadic posting of last summer is finally licked. Good news, but not the only reason why I am pleased with life right now (even if I am almost too tired to type right now).
Our big box of budget silent films came in today, so I now own several more D.W. Griffith films on DVD. That is always reason to celebrate, and I would do so, but I am absolutely drained from long day at salt mines (by which I mean campus).
However, I remain in a good mood. I have finally managed to iron out details about my ritual studies paper with the prof. I will still be doing the Marx Brothers, but I have talked him into letting me do my whole 20 page research paper on, get this, the “Lydia, the Tattooed Lady” song and dance sequence from At the Circus (1939)!!!
Holy carp, Fishman, I am in seventh heaven!
But wait, it gets better: It now also looks like I may be doing my other term paper, the one for my “Religious Diversity in North America” PhD seminar, on the Marx Brothers, as well. I think that looking at their use (and re-appropriation) of American colonial history and heroes (i.e. “Harpo Revere” in Duck Soup (1933), etc) may point us in a new way to see the Jewish immigrant experience in America. Maybe it is not Jews who are Americanized exclusively, as it is also America that has been Judaicized (is that a word?) by Jewish artists like the Marxes.
Any way, a productive day, and loads of new vigor for my research topics… But now I shall watch something black & white and old-timey, and then hit the tick.
I really do love my work.

4 comments:
Beautiful image of the unveiling of the Trylon from:
http://weatherfish.com/etc/
marxbros.htm
Do check out this site.
How cute!
Hee hee. Thought you'd like that.
Have you seen the Lydia song scene? It's an absolute treasure!
Having conducted a blog search, this is the blog I found...
Post a Comment