Sunday, January 08, 2006

Not In Front of the Vicar!

The white trash breeders upstairs had another hootenanny last night, until midnight (at which time the hootenanny continued, but I think they just turned their TV down to a dull roar). We couldn’t get any work done, so we went for an hour-long walk in the silence of the snowy park down the street. It was pretty beautiful, and magical, and all that junk. Actually, it was kind of romantic, with the hazy orange glow of street lights and not a soul around.

Then, at 10pm, we returned to our trailer-trash-assaulted living environment, which was still filled with the proverbial sounds of banjo music. We gave up all hope of getting school work finished, and played about a million hands of Go-Fish and Blind Man’s Bluff, and then, in a desperate attempt to ignore the noise, we resorted to the “Big Book of (Lame) British Party Games” we have. We finally settled upon Twenty Questions, as it didn’t involve having to know the current plot lines of Coronation Street or a hundred facts about cricket. By the time the game was over I was resorting to great historical personages like Louis Riel and Carrot Top. Finally, they settled down to watch Dukes of Hazard reruns, or whatever their ilk enjoys, and we had lost an evening.

The games were fairly silly and amusing, though, and John and I did have some fun, despite the annoyance of being unable to work. However, in payment, we have to work all day today to make up for lost time.

The major problem with this is that the jerks have continued this morning where they left off last night, and we are still besieged by WWF-inspired hoots and thuds. We are working on a contraption, consisting of a cement drill and a length of PVC hose, that might put them all to sleep, but that won’t be ready until we can find a cheap ether supplier, so we are stuck.

I wish I had some expendable cash and a day off, as I would love to get out of this apartment, sport a jaunty beret, and go downtown. We could see a movie, browse a book shop or two, and have a nice quiet lunch in some place where they don’t allow white trash to whoop… But, alas, we are waiting on student loan money, and we may need groceries at some point next week. Thus, such an excursion, while fun for the moment, may be unwise and lead to starvation by Wednesday. Rats.

The eternal struggle of the student: Play now and pay later, or be sensible all the time and lose your marbles?

1 comment:

H. said...

HOLY NUTS!!!!

I can't believe I forgot to post for Elvis' birthday!!!!!

See Schuller's blog for a good post.

Sorry, Elvie.

Powered By Blogger