Monday, January 02, 2006

The Glories of Excess.

It’s 5am and I have snuck out of bed. I’ve made myself a big pot of garlicky rice, am typing by the light of a sumptuous scented candle that promises to recreate “Mediterranean Breezes,” and am trying to be quiet, as John is still in bed. I am sitting at my computer with my head-phones on, preparing for the ritual feast. I have carefully selected 22 movies with which I plan to spend my final hours of freedom… Like a last meal for the condemned.

I have before me a variety of movies from the sublime (Manhattan, 1979) to the ridiculous (Young Sherlock Holmes, 1985), and some middle-ground in between. Highlights include Breathless (1960), The Apartment (1960), Five Easy Pieces (1970), The Remains of the Day (1993), The Bride Wore Black (1968), Stardust Memories (1980) and Life is Beautiful (1997). Some pieces, such as A Countess from Hong Kong (1967), Chaplin's final film, I can only excuse by citing their sentimental value. To add some educational substance, I have selected The Jazz Singer (1980, sadly). All in all, a wonderful way to seal my holiday.

I didn’t particularly like Leaving Las Vegas (1995), but it did have some good ideas. I plan on gorging myself on film until I can’t see straight, as my last ha-rah before buckling down for another term. I may not survive, but what a way to go!

Hmmm. What shall be first...?

2 comments:

H. said...

Python, huh? Good... But not enough to sustain a long and steady gorging process.

Unless you have bought the Christly expensive "Flying Circus" series since last we met. In which case, can I borrow $50,000 until I find a teaching job?

H. said...

Yes, but does she have her school work memorized just as well?

That was often the failing in Python fanatics at my high school. They had all the trappings of geekdom, but none of the grades to make it worth while.

Powered By Blogger