When we last left her, Holly was contemplating dropping out of the boredom cycle that was her formal education and finding what was left of the vaudeville circuit. Let’s see what she's up to now, shall we?
For those of you who have followed my blog and emails for the past while, you will have noticed that I was in a bit of a crisis in terms of my life direction. This fog seems to have lifted. No, I have not found some wonderful key to unlock the excitement to be found in the history of the Protestant invasion of the so-called “New World.” Rather, I have found a way to integrate my bubbling urges towards creativity within the frame of my drudge-like role as student.
First off, I have found an enormous gold mine of fun in my Groucho Marx research for my ritual studies class, as well as fun ways to present my lecture for Ron’s undergraduate class, and some exciting stuff to prepare for my Jewish studies reading group. I really was an ass to complain about school when I get to do stuff like that. Sorry.
Secondly, I may have found a way to parlay my Groucho enthusiasm into more creative journalism opportunities. I have found a true kindred spirit, all the way out in Ohio. (This is, of course, frequent visitor and commenter on this blog, Amanda, an artist and writer who I am beginning to take a real shine to. She has the qualifications I like: loves the Marx Brothers, and likes my writing. Shows exceptional taste, really.)
Anyway, the point is that she and I are approaching a major fun-filled collaboration that will involve a co-authored blog dedicated to the appreciation of Groucho Marx. I assure you, I am entering into this pact to foster the respect Groucho deserves as one of America’s finest Jewish culture heroes. Amanda, on the other hand, is the infantile one… she only wants him for his cuteness factor. So immature… You’d never see me swooning over such a genius, elaborating on his well-formed limbs, sultry eyes, physical prowess, legendary romantic flare, ribald sexuality, alluring wit, wonderful Semitic charms... Um, et cetera. (Clears throat nervously.)
Anyway, Holly has now found new avenues of creativity, as well as the fantastic nature of blogging and ‘net for finding friends with similar concerns.
I have decided that, if I want to create, then I simply must do it. To that end, I have decided to take up painting and drawing again. I have also decided that, if I want to write, it is up to me to start free-lancing alongside my education. The first step will be to put more effort into my other blog’s movie reviews (like updating more than every two months), to pour some fun and vitality into the Groucho project, and to start sending pieces out to any and all mags, papers, and journals that may take me.
This is a new leaf for me. I am back. I am in the world and of the world, and now, no longer reaching for the moon, the moon is reaching for me (and if you can place those movie quotes and give me the binding factor, I will give you a kiss).
Holly is back, people. Watch out, world of humour journalism… I am about to set you on fire! (Or at least receive rejection emails from you...)

2 comments:
This is exciting stuff! Your newfound inspiration and optimism may be contagious! (hopefully, because I could use some motivation myself)
Also, I am pleased to see that I am already well on my way to being humiliated in the public eye over my sweet sweet love of the Groucho!
Yes, well, I have never hid the fact that I think Groucho has a truly admirable ass in that Davy Crockett get-up in _Duck Soup_, so I guess I can't say anything against you.
And, yes, I like to think that I am contagious. At least that way they can't carve me up and sell me to Japanese or British meat markets.
There's a bright side to everything.
Post a Comment