
Folks, I poop you not when I say that election season is truly the season for love.
With the Canadian Federal Election taking place in just over 24 hours, I am hitting the ceiling. Who can work on Puritan religious history in Massachusetts, when we have the thinking-man’s Stanley Cup about to take place? The tension is building… Will Harper win, and by how much? What will the Liberals be when it is over? Even sadder, what will Paul Martin be by next Wednesday? And Jack? In what position will the NDP be come Monday night?
It’s all so damned exciting, I can’t concentrate. Sure I still have daydreams about The Firth, as is my way this week, and I have taken the necessary Groucho breaks, but no amusement or work session is quite as sustained as it was a month ago… I am firmly under the spell of election fever!
Now, that’s for the election part of the title. How about the romance? I have to tell you that John and I have been giggly and obnoxious these past weeks. We are like two love birds combined with two kids waiting for Christmas… Maybe it is the new extra-strength mouthwash I’ve been using, but I think it’s the election fever turned outwards. We chatter away happily all day about the newest election news and the campaigns. That may not sound romantic to you, but we are more communicative in our 9th year than most couples are in the throws of their honey-moon hangover, and, as a result, our relationship is far healthier than most North Americans can safely expect.
It’s not even that we are two NDP supporters patting ourselves on the backs in smug, leftist, self-congratulations, either. In fact, John, I think, is far closer to Libertarian than to Democrat. (However, I am sure he is not Conservative… Then we’d see fur fly.) I don’t even know who he plans to vote for, as I take the right to a secret ballot very seriously (despite the fact that I choose to reveal my own partisan allegiances).
No, it has nothing to do with being in simple agreement. Rather, it is about the healthy and exciting venture of participating in our national processes. I never feel more alive, human and mature as when I face an election, and the whole world seems to zing with electricity right now.
Elections may be the aphrodisiac known to humanity… At least for eggheads. What a great time to be Canadian and registered to vote!
Love to you all, especially to Jack, but also to poor, poor Paul (try to get some rest, dude).

No comments:
Post a Comment