All things considered, 2005 wasn’t all that bad. John and I are still going strong after our ninth anniversary, and are looking forward to our tenth, which, we hope, will precipitate our legal formalization of our union soon thereafter. (Time and money willing, of course, as well as barring that strange mystery illness that always takes out young lovers in the movies.)
We have done well this year, with our, and Fritz’s, health still going strong, and our financial situation fairly stable. We managed to live to see our exit from Hamilton, possibly the crappiest city in our fair Dominion, and have managed to land in a town we like, an apartment that we enjoy, and a university which we adore. All told, we are further ahead than years passed.
We spent New Years Eve snuggled down watching Anthony Hopkins flicks and romantic fluff and toasting the New Year with some of the best coffee I’ve ever had, accompanied by the contented cat. Even the upstairs people must have been visited by three spirits, and were either out or dead. Thus, we had some peace, quiet and some nauseatingly cute “us time.”
If one is meant to spend New Years Eve the way one hopes the next year will unfold, I think we did pretty OK. My wish is that we all have luck and make the most of your new, fresh start. And, of course, that news comes about my Aunt very soon and that it is good.
All the best to all our friends (personal or blog strangers, alike) for 2006!

2 comments:
Cozy New Years are the best, I find. My boyfriend and I stayed in, drank a moderate amount of gin, and played with our ferrets.
The best part was how, on a normal day, we stay up until 4 or 5 in the morning. But on New Years Eve, we were mysteriously sleepy and fell asleep at like 1am.
This I understand! I have been an insomniac since infancy, but it was always hard to manage it on New Years Eve when I was a kid, the one night a year when we were allowed to.
Post a Comment