Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Now Who’s Sorry?

Wallowing in self (and national) pity at present. Everything going well, I guess, but what does it matter when facing enormous political wasteland before us?

Truly, we see what the poor Yanks went through when Bush stole the White House… I say we start our own country. Come on, PEI, Nova Scotia, Ontario and Ohio, let’s leave this bloody neo-Con continent and find a place to ourselves. Preferably far, far away from Alberta.

Good plan.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I am all for it.

Also, I don't know if you Canadians are going through this, but when Bush was re-elected by such a narrow margin... Well, I think most of us who are still in denial over the turn of events believe that the results were tampered with. And since the current administration is generally seen as hateful, crooked, conniving, evil, and dangerous... I'm almost certain it was at least to some extent. Enough to see to it that old Bush was re-elected.

In a way it gives me Hope thinking that a small majority of Americans didn't actually for him. But of course, it also chills me to the bone and plunges me into a bleak pit of despair thinking that the government really has gotten that bad.

Do you have any thoughts of that nature regarding Canada's recent election? They are certainly not pleasant thoughts.

H. said...

In Canada's system, I think that tampering is unlikely. We have so many polls, each for specific candidates, that it would be difficult. You see, a federal election in Canada is not for the leaders, like Harper, but, rather for 308 parliamentary representatives. Each riding has at least three candidates, but more often around five or so, and they get to inspect some of the voting mechanism... It would be an enormous undertaking to rig that...

However, I am not completely naive, and there is always a possibility. I would actually like to think that Harper stole the election, rather than actually had that many voters for him...

I think the real issues here was (1) 40% of eligible Canadians did not vote (bloody bastards), and (2) People often did not vote for the Conservatives for the right reasons. Some for the baby-bonus bribe he is offering to parents, or for tax cuts. Some because they, let's face it, just hate gay people. Still others just because they hate the Liberals.

This is a complex situation, and, anyway you slice it, it is unpleasant.

So let's get the heck out of this continent, huh? Oh, and we can take the territories with us. Those sweet hearts up there pretty much blocked out the Conservatives, too. Too bad they only had like four seats to offer to the Liberals or NDP.

We definitely have to do something about the system in terms of proper representation... Like why did the Bloc only get 10% of Canadian popular vote and have 50 seats, while the NDP got 17% and only got 29 seats???

Wacky world.

Powered By Blogger