
Well, to use language appropriate to a pink-poodle fan diary, I am, like, totally crushing on Groucho Marx right now…
Maybe it’s those dark, mysterious eyes. Maybe it’s that black, romantic, wavy hair. Maybe it’s the Semitic good looks. Maybe it’s the springy, scrawny legs. Maybe it’s the moonlight, the wine and the song, or just the impetuousness of my youth (I really should tell my Youth to be more careful).
I’m not sure why, but right now I am madly in love with Groucho Marx. Been reading about the man, and every page makes my heart more and more tender. Soon it’ll be ready for roasting.
I’ve been learning all sorts of wonderful things. For instance, did you know that Groucho had a “thing” for getting his feet tickled, especially by any female in her twenties? (Well, gootchi-gootchi-goo, you cutie!)
I have also read that all his life Groucho was insecure because it was always easy for Chico to score (hence the name, not pronounced cheek-o, but chick-o), while poor young Julius had to work for hours just to get a number from a girl. Heartbreaking, and confusing: If women preferred Chico to Groucho in those days, then I never would have fit in with those dames. (Although Margaret Dumont seemed to like him, and I probably couldn’t have fit into anywhere with her, either.)
My heart belongs to Groucho. Go ahead and laugh, but we were made for each other. We both enjoy a good joke, for example. Further, we are both charmingly Yiddilicious (patent pending on that word, by the way), and both of us would go a long distance for a good piece of pumpernickel. That’s a great basis for any relationship.
Actually, I’m starting to think that my work is beginning to go to my head… However, with a little luck, in my dreams tonight it may go to other, better places…
Oh, Groucho!

11 comments:
I am one of the few people around who will not laugh at you for this, but I will instead completely understand. Oh, how I understand.
But, I AM probably the only person who would be willing to fight you for him.
Fortunately, I can share though. Especially since we are like 80 years late.
One of the main reasons Groucho Marx is so appealing to me is, besides the fact that he is so adorable as you mentioned, he just has the greatest style of humor any person has ever had ever. Wits that quick don't come around that often, and it turns out that I find such wits to be enormously appealing.
And while I'm not quite "Yiddilicious," I'd still like to think that he'd like me. Why, in fact, I'd LIKE to think he'd like me just as much as I like him.
:( I want that time machine like now.
PS - I just had a thought. I wonder if he had a harder time picking up broads than Chico because he couldn't help but make clever remarks about silly things they said or did. (and you know how most girls do and say really stupid things really often)
He seems the type who would have always been "on" and therefore wouldn't have been able to let easy targets get away with things, and everyone would have gotten that treatment. But most people, for some reason, can't handle that even a little bit.
I'm going to end this comment by lamenting over the fact that I wasn't around back then to be the one who would have certainly been able to take it.
It seems that he had a harder time than Chico because Chicho had more confidence in that arena, if you can believe it. But, certainly, he was often seen as far too clever for most girls.
And yes, he definitely saw his humour as his main weapon in dating... But, for me, the grey eyes so dark they seemed black, and the surprisingly good body he had would have helped, as well.
However, if someone can make me laugh, that's the key right there.
Why are all my idols at least fifty years too early???
Chico seems like he was the kind of boy you'd do well not to be seen around with too much. I mean, the man could act like a shady Italian a little too well. That's gotta say something about his character.
I also wondered why it seems that all of Groucho's wives that he had turned into raging alcoholics. He probably drove them to it because they couldn't take the heat of his powerful wit! (actually you might be able to tell me, I haven't really read as many marx bros books or biographies as I should have by this point. You seem to be way more biographically aware in this department and I bow to your wisdom)
I suppose they didn't make girls like us too often back then. Sort of like how they don't even make girls like us too often now. And they don't make boys like him too often now... Well like him, but not EXACTLY him. That's the problem.
I think the factory that made Grouchos was in Desmoine and it went under in ought-4.
From what I can tell, his wives turned to drink because he married 19-year-olds with IQs the size of their shoes, so they didn't hold his interest too long and they turned to alcohol when he stopped paying attention to them. He was not educated, but was incredibly smart and read a great deal. Soon he, and they, realized he was ten thousand times smarter, and the marriages died of neglect. All of them left him. Even Ruth, his first wife, to whom he was married for 21 years.
Shame. Very similar to Chaplin, actually. What is it with comics???
I'll have to watch myself if I ever hit the big time.
PS: Is it just me, or is that "Lydia" performance just a tad alluring... Make that really alluring?
Also, did Groucho actually appear younger in the MGM films than he did in the earlier Paramount films? Chico and Harpo didn't seem to fare so well.
Oh god. So he fell into that trap that so many guys tend to fall into. I always want to slap my male friends who do that.
I am guessing I should just write a Guide to Girls and make a big section called "Do Not EVER Expect a Good Steady Relationship With Any Girl Under the Age of Twenty-Four." Poor Groucho.
I believe he looks desperately youthful in the Cocoanuts, really. But honestly, I think he looks quite good throughout all of them. And I understand that he was actually older than I expect he was, too.
And "Lydia" is hugely alluring.
He was born in October of 1890, which makes him only a year younger than Chaplin.
And yes, he was wonderfully young in Coconuts. So adorable!
So he was 39 when they made the Cocoanuts? Why did he appear to be in his mid-twenties then?
Probably the same reason he looked to be in his sixties when he was in his eighties... Good genes, and a hell of a good sense of humour!
Oh, and let's add raw sex appeal to that list. In for a penny, in for a pound, eh?
Post a Comment