Thursday, January 05, 2006

I’ve Had a Perfectly Wonderful Evening. But This Wasn’t It.

You said it, Groucho. Brother, did you ever say it.

Had my first seminar of the new term. Three hours sitting with some of the dullest people on the planet trying to act like I (a) know something about ritual studies, (b) care at all about ritual studies, and (c) am thrilled to be sitting through my whole evening in the “M&M Meat Shop Room” (no word of a lie, that’s who sponsored the room, and there’s a big sign on the door announcing that as the room’s name) while the world passes me by.

I also had to pretend that I wasn’t horrified at the presentation component. We can’t just deliver a paper, mind you. We have to perform something – script, dance, a routine of some sort. All the while I’m thinking that if I could do that kind of crap, I wouldn’t be a scholar-in-training. When he asked if there were any questions, I said yes: “When is the drop date?” He laughed. They always laugh. (See entry from January 3rd.)

Despite that, it was OK, I guess, and Grimes is a doll, but I just don’t feel like going through yet another term of school… I think of Woody, who got thrown out of not one but two colleges, and he’s famous. Groucho Marx dropped out of high school to hit the vaudeville circuit, and he is a hero to mankind. Charlie Chaplin had something like a fourth grade education, and he is a god. Even the guys who collect the garbage and run deliveries on campus seem to be having more fun than me. Man, sometimes I think the joke is one me.

If only I had one, single, solitary skill… I don’t, so academics is my last hope.

Oh, Brother.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I already have the best idea in the world for you: NO! TWO best ideas!

Either you can get a puppet and do a comedy puppet routine, or you can make some sort of angry protest and do the worst Mime Routine ever devised by a human being.

Failing that, you could always totally rip off a Bob Hope monologue which you will somehow relate to your topic and one-line your way into infamy!

I will help you, whatever it is.

H. said...

HOLY CRAP!!!

You read my mind... I have been spending the morning trying to price ventriloquist dummies.

It's eerie.

Stay out of my brain, lady.

Amanda said...

You could still protest with the puppet idea by having your dummy just be a poorly constructed sock puppet.

Hilarity would naturally pour out of a situation like that. Heck, you might even have found a specialty, quit school and go on the road with your sassy sock puppet act.

I can't help but laugh at the idea already! And it hasn't even happened yet! It is gold, solid gold.

H. said...

It would either be hilarious or absolutely the most horrifying thing anyone has ever seen. Either way, good press all around.

H. said...

I think I found my dummy- And you're gonna love him. I promise...

Powered By Blogger