
Now, I am certainly aware that almost everyone who reads this blog is female, aside from John and a few guys from places as exotic as Tel Aviv and Philadelphia. However, I do feel obligated to give this public service announcement: Females, despite what males might think, are pretty foul creatures.
Example: I had perhaps one of the most awful conversations in the world today. A woman in my department, an anonymous MA student… Let’s call her Daisy (as in fresh- you’ll appreciate that in a moment), who I don’t know well at all, forced me to be privy to a dilemma she is having this first week back to classes.
It seems that Daisy has troubles “making” on campus. That is, to put it plainly, but not nastily, she can not do “No.2” in public washrooms. However, she explained, she had gotten used to doing No.2 at home whenever she wanted over the break, and has “lost the rhythm”. Now, despite stomach aches and an unpleasant assortment of other issues (you can guess what, as I have no intention of painting you a picture), she is now forcing her system into only making No.2 either before she leaves for class in the morning or after she gets home in the evening. To reiterate the enormity of this project, one which she claims to go through every September and January: She is lazar-sighting her regularity to activate only at 7am or after 6pm.
Now, I am not going into comparative values of various bathroom habits any further here. However, I must ask this simple question: If she is too dainty to make No.2 in a public washroom, why, then, is she comfortable talking about it in my office?
I am stymied, frankly, and spent the duration of the conversation trying to remember exactly when, as in decade or year, it suddenly became alright for young women to discuss this with practical strangers. I mean, I guess 80-year-olds have always discussed their bowels, as it is more of a hobby than a function for old folks, but at twenty-five?
All I know is girls are definitely getting grosser, at least in terms of their modes of conversation outside best-friend/sister/mother circles. (Actually, for me, none of those circles ever produced such conversation, as my mom still calls diarrhea “the trots.” I thought it referred to Trotskyites, as we were Marxists, until I was nine.) Sure, my brother calls intestinal troubles “the squirts,” but he is a boy and therefore allowed to do so.
Needless to say, as far as the decline of intelligent and comfortable conversation, this was a red letter day… And then people wonder why I prefer “white telephone pictures” to actual modern life. One never saw Merle Oberon complaining about her bowel movements… Frankly, I prefer to think she didn’t have them.
And that’s the way it should be, tarnation.

4 comments:
"The trots" is one of the best sayings of all time.
I just had to get that out of the way.
Yes, girls are getting far grosser. I think it has something to do with the feminist movement and making sure that girls know that they are equal to men. But it is backfiring, because instead of saying "we are just as worthy of happiness, etc, as men are," they are somehow turning it into "what? men break wind in public and belch regularly? well then SO SHALL I!"
That is just a theory for the moment. I'll come up with another one in about 15 seconds though, I'm sure.
(PS - I think it needs mentioning that my family has been known to refer to diarrhea as "squutters" - a word I have never tried to spell before but I can think of no other way to do it. Yes, it makes me laugh like an uncouth fool, too)
Ah, like a variation on "the scoots"?
I should think that the movement towards equality should bring both sexes towards improvement, but the side effect has been to make both have bad habits. Unfortunate.
However, I should point out that men are getting grosser, too, so maybe it's just television... With its toilet humour and jive talking grannies.
We are doomed.
Hmm.. Yes, it is true that men used to be more... "dapper" on the whole. You watch the old films (I shall cite the Thin Man flicks as a definite example), and even the impoverished small time petty criminals with the bastard children (which I would say was probably yesteryear's white trash, thieving trailer person equivilant) were fairly polite and wore suits!
I sometimes think that there really is truth in the whole "clothes make the man" sentiment. And probably "you are what you eat." Since people around here dress like trash and eat horribly bad foods...
Oh! I am cooking up a new theory!!
Certainly. And look at the Little Tramp, or those foot ball players in _Horse Feathers_. Suits there, too.
Ah, gone are the days...
Post a Comment