Sunday, August 27, 2006

Wow… I Just Almost Died

Do I have a big “Hit Me” sign on me somewhere?

Once, in Halifax, I was hit by a slow-moving Jeep, crossing a street, but only barely. (The woman smacked my leg with her bumper.) Once, in Hamilton, I almost got it from a mini-van containing like four million teenaged boys, none of whom were watching the road as they turned. (Again, at a cross-walk, obeying the lights.) Last winter, I was set down into a convenient snow drift by a rolling SUV, while I was crossing with the lights.

However, tonight, the oncoming lights of a red compact were almost the last things these eyes ever saw.

Crossing, again on the walk light (I am beginning to think that jay walking is safer, actually), though admittedly with my mind on other things, I was stunned to find a car zeroing straight for me. I was in black, it was nighttime, she wasn’t looking where she was going, I think she was speeding… all bad factors against me.

If I had not jumped back out of the way, Holly would not be here to tell you this tale, folks. Seriously, this woman was gunning it.

There was a second when I jumped back, and she realized she was almost on top of me. It was kind of cool, now that I think about it, in a horrific sort of way. She stopped. I stopped. She kinda screamed. I just stared. She didn’t know what the next move was. I distinctly remember thinking, “Wow… I almost died just there.”

Then the moment passed, and I scurried home. I am now drinking a lovely, calorie-filled soda pop (no where near the Diet variety) in celebration of life itself. I figure, since I almost died, what the hell do I worry about a few too many pounds for, tonight?

It rather makes one think of what is most important in life. The thoughts of that last second were really amazing… Ask me about them sometime, and see what pops up.

As it is, the final analysis is that I am pretty damned glad to be typing this right this second. All those problems on my mind just before the Incident really don’t seem to matter quite so much any more, oddly enough.

Be well.
*

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was in elementary school, I almost got run down by the school bus. That was an experience I would rather not have had. There is something about having a driver's liscense. The day you get one, your IQ drops 5 points. You can feel it go down as they take your picture at the BMV. And red cars are totally bad luck, avoid them at all costs.

H. said...

Yes... drivers seem to go on auto-pilot fairly easily.

Or maybe they just hate hippies.

running42k said...

glad you are still typing.

It is crazy how aggressive drivers have gotten. They would rather take a life then wait a few seconds or minutes.

Anonymous said...

so glad you are still writing blogs on this side of Jacob's Ladder. I'll have a soda too, and then let a pedestrian pass in your honour.

remember in Halifax, when one approached any part of the curb, drivers would slow down to let you pass?

~Mark

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm so glad you're OK.

Amanda said...

You don't have to take that kind of crap from any car! Not even a RED car! However, I am extremely glad that you weren't run over.

Just the other week, while cross the intersection here, with the lights as I should, a few cars crossed in front of me before I got to the lane they were turning into, and one almost didn't stop in time. It screeched to a halt about 3 feet from my knees. I just gave them a scowl and continued walking, uninterrupted.

I probably should be more afraid when it comes to a potential battle between me and a moving car..

H. said...

See, I have been threatened by cars before... but this one was different. It was like I *knew* that one had my number on it.

I am very glad to still be around, thanks.

Amanda said...

That is a horror. With my brush with a car, I just *knew* that the motorist was an impatient asshole. That isn't anywhere near as scary.

Powered By Blogger