Heard on the news today that the new season of the reality show Survivor (a blight on the soul of those who unleashed it) will be divided along racial lines: “Black,” “White,” “Asian,” and “Hispanic” tribes… I am all for supporting difference in reasonable ways, but does this seem wise? It seems to be a situation of 40-something-emotionally-constipated-white-guys trying to tap into something they can’t understand, which seems like it honours difference, but really just limits and pigeon-holes it…
If you think these divisions are simple, or even possible in North America, take this test, and let me know how you fare.
I can’t even imagine where many of the people I know would even be categorized.
Yes, yes: The Commercialization of “Race” continues. Great! They have called this decision “controversial.” It isn’t controversial, it is capitalism. It is, however, crassly stupid. That much, I can agree on.
*

10 comments:
I find it hard to cheer for Aryan pride.
A new low in network tv.
WOW. I got 5 out of 20. Fascinating. Thanks for the education.
I think I'll have a hard time cheering for any tribe this time around. I'll stick with The Amazing Race, thanks.
Reality TV is the new McCarthism. Now, anyone can have their name on a list and get their fifteen minutes of fame being voted off the island.
Well, I got six right anyway.
Very good, Amanda... Good thing they did not ask you to identify Jews. You'd have to frisk them first.
Murph, your theories on reality TV scares the hell out of me... because they seem 100% accurate.
I found that test enlightening... and I am supposedly an expert in ethnic identity!
42k, you are so correct.
However, there are bright spots in reality TV. I, for one, enjoyed the pioneer house and WWII experience reality shows on PBS a few years back. They are available on DVD, and I really recommend them, especially for writers as the detail is extraordinary.
I enjoyed the 1900 House. It was amazing, but I only saw a few episodes of it.
Also, you'd find that I couldn't recognize any Jews at all. I'm really really bad it.
Awwww... not even if you had a chance to pat them down?? Wouldn't it be worth a test?
Post a Comment