When we were kids, we weren’t allowed near windows during thunder and lightening storms, let alone go outside. Nor were we allowed to swear, play cards or turn on the radio. My mum used to sit on the chesterfield with a towel over her face. I remember reading to her for hours – either to cover up the sound of the thunder, or to block out the sounds of her whimpers, I don’t know which.
I learned a healthy dose of irrational fear when it came to storms.
Still, one must admire my mother. She tried hard not to pass on her phobia to us, as she had inherited it from her mother. Her mother made them all huddle in a room with no windows, and led them in an occasional prayer. No one was allowed to speak, and her mother cried and rocked until the storm had passed.
Tonight, alone and watching the lights flicker precariously, I tried not to be scared. It didn’t entirely work, but I am an improvement over the past generations.
Tonight I took a walk in the storm, to have a smoke and prove something to myself. I whistled past the graveyard, as it were. Cringing at every flash, I firmed by spine. I refrained from whimpering. I am tired of being scared.
I even swore once, to take the curse off.
I think the storm is passed now… I hope so. I probably will never like them, but tonight I scored some sort of point. Don’t ask me what.
*

8 comments:
See, despite living at the edge of the famed tornado alley, I still enjoy thunderstorms an awful lot and walk in them whenever they don't appear to be TOO dangerous.
You miss out on a lot when you are afraid of them! So keep your chin up.
Someday a house will land on your sister, and you will change your tune.
Amazing the things we pass on to our kids, either by design or by mistake.
The sad thing is that my mum knew it, and was saddened by it. But she truly was terrified. She did well for what she was working with.
When I'm awake, storms are cool. I love them. I egg them on. I watch the radar to see if the storms are going to hit us. I just love observing the power!!
When they happen in the middle of the night, however, I find that I end up plugging my ears and trying to hide my head under my pillow. Things are just SO MUCH worse when you're awoken by stuff like that!
Hopefully you will be able to be in awe one day, rather than be fearful. Storms are scary, but they are something to marvel at.
Yes, I have to say the walk did energize me. Also, I love the sound of thunder, and I am a rain fanatic. There is just the problem that I can imagine the shock and horror of getting struck, and the anticipated pain and death seems too real.
Further, my cat is a nervous nilly, who will NEVER let me forget it is storming out. Jerk feline.
The primary reason that I don't like bad storms at night is just because you can't see if things are bad enough that you should hide in the storm cellar.
A big problem I have with storm warnings is knowing that, should a tornado come, it will be the BIGGEST hassle in the world. It will involve pants, and trying to fit the cat in his carrier, and the whole Poseidon Adventure "running down the stairs in the dark to get to safety" bull crap.
It just seems to me that storms are a pain in the butt, so I'd rather not have them, thanks.
Post a Comment