Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Beautiful


I took a wander this morning, to clear my mind and focus my energies.

It is lovely outside. We had a hard rain yesterday, so everything is fresh and green. It is not too terribly hot, but the sun is gold and dripping. A breeze shakes the pines outside my window. The spring animals are starting to come into their own, with juvenile squirrels and rabbits and birds covering every where, making every park and yard into a school room. The air is fresh and the sounds thrilling. It is that time when the flush of summer colour overlaps with the crispness of impending autumn. I love this time.

There are many things on my mind. I am starting to think of jobs and job hunting, planning ahead for the big 2009 that will (hopefully) mark my launch into my profession. Many of the best schools for me to teach at are in the States…

How can I be separated from this place, this land? Is the rain the same there? Will the snow be the snow I know so intimately here? Will I feel the same jolt through my feet when I walk on foreign grass and soil? Will I bleed internally for Canada? Will they reject me and my strange, “exotic” ways? Will I learn American fear? Will it erase Holly as I know her? Will I become disconnected?

If my heart breaks over the distance from Nova Scotia in my exile in Ontario, how could I stand the exile to another country all together?

Am I strong enough to live on batteries uncharged by Canadian soil? Would my heart remain buried here always, only to leave me without one elsewhere?

Or, perhaps, is a place just a place, and every nook and cranny can be beloved it if is home? After all, only four years ago, I never would have dreamt of loving Ontario land as much as I do here. Now I feel like I belong to it, somehow; Nova Scotia is the mother, and Waterloo is the aunt that I have come to visit.

After all, North America is only carved up by the hands of greedy humans. And nature is a law that snubs the concepts of our limited minds.

But, then, perhaps I am rambling.

Go out and enjoy the day, wherever you are.

(An appropriate tune for today.)
*

8 comments:

Amanda said...

It may not snow as much... And you won't learn American Fear if you learn to not watch our News Stations. They don't do much else than lie anyway.

H. said...

Hmmm. Good to know. Can you get the CBC down there???

Anonymous said...

CBC? What's that?

No, actually even if you can't get CBC, there is PBS, which is as close as we can get. Some of the shows on PBS come from BBC.

H. said...

"CBC? What's that?"

oh no.

Amanda said...

You can get any station when you use the Internet!

H. said...

Ah, the Internet. Is there anything that can't do?

running42k said...

That is a beautiful post. Full of joy.

H. said...

Born red and white, that's me. The new Stan Rogers. (And today I love anyone who knows who Stan Rogers is.)

Powered By Blogger