Friday, December 02, 2005

It’s Like Being a Reverse Vampire…

So, once again, today I was stuck rushing to post before sundown on a Friday afternoon. (Once the sun goes down I usually feel morally obligated to resist the urge to post… Though I do forget sometimes, and sometimes get so pissed that I have to post or explode. Anger waits for no Sabbath.) However, this afternoon the net went down just as I was trying to get this on… I guess G-d was throwing His weight around.

Well, I am not one to be intimidated, so here’s the update anyway!

My friend Mitra, the Buddhist Monk from Sri Lanka via Kitchener, of whom I have written before, seems to have forgotten his responsibility to do no harm because he has given me one hell of a cold. Listen, the dude’s a monk, so I don’t even touch him, but, nevertheless, he gave me the plague. The problem is, in our Islam class, they took away one of our tables, so yesterday the seven of us had to sit shoulder-to-shoulder for four hours, breathing each other’s used air… Really gross, actually. I should just be glad cancer or pregnancy isn’t air-born or I’d have worse problems then just a cold.

Actually, Mitra was pretty damned adorable in his illness, with a cozy red wool sweater pulled down over his orange robes, and a fuzzy scarf kept around his neck the entire class, like he was Bob Cratchit or something… He may endowed with the light of wisdom, but he sure gets babyish when he’s sick.

As a result, I have slept in, which I admit was badly needed, and am now just praying that my cold doesn’t interrupt my schedule for the weekend. So I will now shove everything over a day, and do all my marking in one sitting tomorrow (even if I have to Krabapple them – B+, B+, B+, B+…), and then do paper work on Sunday.

(And yes, for those keen eyes out there, marking is also forbidden on Sabbath as it involves writing, but right now I fear time more than I fear G-d… He created time, so it’s his fault I’m in this predicament, anyway.)

For today, I will head to bed with a mountain of Kant, Hobbes, Foucault and Geertz, to find the meaning of the word “religion” and its failings (along with my sooky-blanket, a cat and a bucket of ginger ale), and try not to moan myself to death.

Oh, and before I forget, best wishes to Christine who is also working on papers, all my love to Simon who was lost but who I have found, and to Marybeth who was just finishing her comp exam here at Laurier as I was originally writing this entry, so she is probably asleep by now. The first PhD class’s comps at WLU… They blaze a trail for us, the second class, and their courage and sacrifice will not be forgotten!

So the sun is down, and I haven’t turned into a pumpkin, but I won’t press my luck any further. Good night, all!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger