Woke up this morning with a terrible sore throat and a stuffy head, so, considering our poverty-stricken state right now, we decided to forego a shopping trip to fantabulous Up Town Waterloo today… It really is pretty, but that’s a lot of walking just to see some cobblestones and a big turn-of-the-century-beer-keg pyramid. (Wow- What is wrong with the Germans??) However, we are still planning on hitting the Wonders of Winter display in the park, which promises to contain 100,000 lights! I can feel the price of my electricity wattage rising as we speak.
I am still plugging away at paper proposals for next term, and I sent off a rough draft to Grimes yesterday… Considering the prop for his class is due on Feb 8, I think that’s a good head start. However, I haven’t gotten my marks back for first term, so maybe I flunked out and it’s all for naught… Hmmm. Best not think about that right now.
For my paper for Grimes’ Ritual, Performance & Media class I will be doing the performance of Judaism in pop culture. He has OK’d that general area, but I think for my specific example, I will do (Catherine will enjoy this) Neal from Freaks and Geeks. Woody Allen, though beloved, is far too done for this. We’ll see how it goes.
For my Religious Diversity in North America class, the prof suggested I do the history of Jews in Atlantic Canada, being how I have a natural position from which to study that. However, there’s really not a lot to be said there, and anything that needs to be said can’t really be done in 20 to 25 pages. Instead, I think I might do trans-border culture sharing amongst the Jews… As in how much the Jews of Canada rely upon American Jewish culture for our identity.
Or, alternatively, why the hell do people think that all Jews come from Brooklyn?
So, that’s about all the news that’s fit to print… Been listening to Zappa and doing research on adolescence in Jewish American society. (By the by, do you know how rare a scholarly topic male virginity is??? It’s all about the females in today’s academics… Not sure how they reckon only girls can be virgins, but I’m sure they have grant money to back it up.)
So, off to the light show tonight, and out to the post office to process some loan papers tomorrow. And waiting for paper marks… Always the waiting. The fun never stops around here. WEEEEEEE!

No comments:
Post a Comment