Today I had a realization that has motivated me beyond all aspirations. I realized, though I had acknowledged it rationally before, that the only things standing between me and my VACATION (wonderful word, that) were two papers to write and fifty exams to mark.So, my reaction: The quicker I finish this crud, the more VACATION I have.
Good plan.
However, the enemy, Stress, has found out that I have made this breakthrough, and I must be forever vigilant against its counter-attacks.
Stress has made some significant ground, especially when some paperwork for which I was responsible seems to have vanished from the secretary’s desk, and when the deadline for exam marks was moved up. However, these were highly important battles, so I looked them straight in the eye and dealt with them. This is neither the time for tension nor fear. Every bump in the road must be avoided or absorbed. There is no other way to win this war. Battle by battle, page by page, I must win the day.
I will keep my head down and get through these papers by Monday, and then mark those exams Monday night. I MUST DO THIS, in order to make that crucial beachhead on to VACATION! Otherwise, I may never make it and this war may be lost. This I cannot allow.
Thus my missives from the front may be few and far between over the next week. Although it shames me, you may be subjected to internet quizzes and a lazy pastiche of links. However, know that I love you all, and that someday I’ll come marching home again from this PhD hell.
Know that I fight a just cause.

No comments:
Post a Comment