I just got some incredible news. Stupendous news, really. Wonderful, relief-making news! I have been doing a touch-down-dance since I heard the good word, really.
For my PhD, I have a nice list of requirements, which I have to pick away at and hopefully master before 2009. I just got an email that dissolved one outright!!!!
The department has agreed with me that my French (and the credits I already have in French classes, as well as the fact that my MA research was pretty much all French) has satisfied my language requirements, and that I WILL NOT HAVE TO SIT THE EXAM!
So, what does this mean?
We are not permitted to begin work on our dissertations until our language requirement is met. The fact that mine is in the bag a year early means that I can start my dissertation work much earlier than expected (provided, of course, my proposal goes the full distance).
Where I had been planning on preparing for and writing the French translation exam next summer, now I have nothing but dissertation research on my plate.
Basically, this pushes my progress about a term ahead of where I thought I was!
So, now, according to my little chart of milestones, I have my two doctoral exams (January 2007 and May 2007), my finalized proposal, my dissertation, and my public and departmental defences, and that is *it*, really.
Just like that, a requirement that was there is no longer there. This PhD game gets better and better every day!
Well, this one is for you Dr. Pocknell, the greatest French teacher I ever had, who I still miss. I owe you big-time!
*

9 comments:
Congradulations. Now where is that French post I've heard so much about?
Yeah... that is a bit of a co-incidence, isn't it? We were just talking about my French skills...
So, yes. Now I *will* have to post in French sometime very soon, just to prove my worth.
And I will dedicate it to you, my American friend.
That IS awesome news!!
Hee hee hee.
Yes. I can't stop dancing!
Felicitations! Ca c'est les nouvelles super! J'ai recu les memes nouvelles avec m'Allemagnes pour ma Matraise! Quel soulagement, eh?
Oui! C'est des nouvelles très bonnes. Mon Allemand est acceptable pour des recherches, aussi bien, ainsi je suis tout placé. Cependant, le Français est plus important pour des études de film.
Maintenant je peux prendre les cours pour renforcer mon Yiddish et hébreu moderne, si je veux à, mais on me finit maintenant qui partie de mon degré.
Comment dites-vous la "Take that, suckas!" en français ? ("Prise qui, suckas"?)
(And yes, I know my French sucks, so no one has to point that out - I am more of research-in-French kind of girl, rather than an actually-speak-it sort, OK?)
Allamand = Allemagnes...
Ah, my French is so terribly rusty. Good thing I look good on paper, eh?
Very good news. keep that happy dance going.
Haha - I would 42k, but glory is fleeting, and now I am back to other work.
They don't let you happy dance very long around here.
Post a Comment