
The back seat of a mini-van, with too little space and no activity, is not my favourite place in the world. I never travel in cars, actually. If I can’t walk to it, I rarely visit it. However, since we have folks up from out East, it seemed only good and proper to roam about and see what this strange Ontario has to offer.
We drove around to St. Jacobs to gawk at the Mennonites, and out to Stratford to see the river and the shops. The towns were ok, but the landscape was exquisite… trees, and hills, and crags, and fields, and horses as far as the eye could see. I could feel my heart swell.
Lord, but I do love this country. Even Ontario.
So, even with an ache in my hip from a total lack of leg room, and the strong desire to shove the map up the back passage of everyone who asked anything about “off-ramps” or “exits,” I was a bit misty. What if I had never been born in Canada? What if I had missed out on all this?
And it hit me, once and for all, that no matter where I go, I will have this feeling, always.
That was a nice realization.
To celebrate my patriotic surge, I picked up an item or two of souvenir-status for some folks out in Ohio. I can’t give too many details, but I can say that Mounties are involved.
It was a pretty good day.
Hope you are the same.
*

4 comments:
Black Pearls from China are NOTHING compared to Mounties-related items!
See? You get me, man. That Mountie is from the heart.
Love St. Jacobs Farmers market. The apple fritter guy the first thing in the morning. Yum yum.
The fresh marble rye was heaven. One of those things the Germans and us agree on it the crack-like addiction of rye bread.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Post a Comment