Passover again. Again I nearly forgot it, and was blindsided by it, and have been caught without wine, apples, and, this year, even eggs. These sneaky damn holidays. No one mentions them, and that is a problem. You can’t walk into any store in the world and not be reminded that Easter is coming, but Passover is tricky. (And, yes, I know the two holidays are connected ... but chocolate bunnies just don't scream "Passover!" to me for some reason.)
Funny, but I found myself much more concerned with the giant read “PAPER DUE!!” and “LAST DAY BEFORE YOU DIE!” written on my calendar than the discreet “Passover” typed onto it.
So why is this different? Well, for one thing, I am happy not to be schlepping some jerk’s blocks around, so that is good. However, slavery has gone in and out of vogue several times since then, as well as abuse of workers and injustice of all sorts, so maybe instead of patting ourselves on the backs for getting away from Pharaoh we should be looking at ways to help the oppressed in the modern world, huh?
But then that wouldn’t involve wine, so I probably won’t convince many people of that mode of celebration.
(It is different, as well, is that now we wait in dread for when the trashies upstairs unleash their unholy brood for the hunt early some morning this weekend to search amongst their pa's empties behind the couch for their trashie-assed NASCAR treats, brought to them by the ridiculous lupine figment of their diseased minds.)
Other than that, this night is different from… well, from last week, for one, because I got my ritual studies paper back with a nice mark (unexpected), and now have a smile to attack my Chaplin paper with. This is all very good news, because this Chaplin paper is the last class assignment I have to do in this degree (for religion, that is; I may do languages or something later), so if I could only get an A I would finish the school year (and the degree, and a lifetime of classes) off with a nice bang of four aces. (Here’s hoping!) Plus, it will be nice to celebrate Chaplin’s birthday this year by giving him serious thought. (There’s one special day I will be sure to remember!)
Now if I can just get a Passover miracle for my tuition bill, I’d be all set…
So enjoy your freedom, and hoist a glass of Manischewitz for me!
(And have a solemn and contemplative Good Friday, too.)

No comments:
Post a Comment