
Oh, that devil on my shoulder is riling me up again. And his name is Chaplin, I’m afraid.
Don’t really want to write the paper I have to do for the morning. (This is the Groucho paper, upon which I presented on the 15th of March, and haven’t looked at since.) It is midnight now. The paper is due in around ten hours. I have yet to start … Because, you see, watching The Cat’s Meow (2001) was so much more valuable, bad acting and all.
I am floating through life … Should get serious, but yet, still, I am unapplied.
Should I go to bed until my brain fever passes? No. It is unnatural to go to bed before 3am. Besides, I have only ten hours … Must focus.
Have a slight urge to toss out my Groucho paper, altogether. Not that I have fallen out of love with Groucho, but, rather, I am having trouble switching from Chaplin back to Groucho in enough time to write this paper. Especially seeing as how I will have to switch back to Chaplin again to write the RE700 paper for the 17th, and, of course, for Charlie’s birthday on the 16th, a national holiday in Hollyland.
(Hollyland, btw, has just as many movie stars running around it as Hollywood, but better air quality and a tad more sincerity.)
Am caught by a whim to do something completely new, knowing the prof is expecting Groucho. Just to get his attention, and bring some excitement into my life.
Am seriously contemplating comparing Chaplin in The Great Dictator (1940) to Hitler in Triumph of the Will (1935), performance-wise. It fits the course, fits my interests, and would shock the prof.
Yet – am I really so crazy as to completely change topics 10 hours before a 25 page paper is due? A paper that I have yet to research? A topic that I had not even thought of until an hour ago?
Is this what my life has come down to? The academic equivalent to bear baiting for thrills? Is my life so boring?
Perhaps.
Tune in tomorrow for the results of this musing. Until then, I say, “sauerkraut mit der lager beeren!”
(Ha ha … I am completely insane.)

No comments:
Post a Comment