“I came, I lectured, I conquered.”
- Holly, upon surveying the bodies slain by her powerful wit, charisma, and public speaking abilities, Waterloo, 2006.

Man, for a day that I was preparing for right up to the last minute, this turned out to be a freaking thrill and a half.
I worked on my undergrad lecture until 2am, and then practiced my Chaplin talk until 4am Sunday night/Monday morning, and though it wasn’t terribly polished everyone seemed to really get a kick out of the thing. One woman said, upon seeing my topic, “Oh! Thank G-d! I am so tired of dry stuff!” All in all, a great success, and the prof seemed to love it.
Actually – this was the best presentation I have done all year, without a doubt. Possibly the best, ever. I love that feeling of having nailed something, and knowing you did.
This feeling of victory easily slipped me through my two hour talk for Dr. G.’s undergrads, and it went like a dose of … something good.
(Sorry, my words have been all used up.)
A stray thought: I love to hear people laugh at Chaplin when I show a clip. One forgets how great it was to watch these things in an audience until one sits and watches it with a fresh group.
So tomorrow I invigilate an MA exam (ha ha – the power of being in PhD!), and then it’s all business for Dr. G.’s paper, due on Wednesday, and then to marking for Friday.
So no rest for the wicked, but, man, I needed to kick some ass, and I did.
How am I ever gonna get to sleep now?

3 comments:
Congratulations!
Yay! Well done, Holls!
Just thought you all might like to hear me *pleased* with something for a change.
Who says this blog is all negativity, huh?
Post a Comment