Folksies, I am not sure what is wrong with me, but, even though I have a paper due by 10am tomorrow morning, I am actually very mentally stable. Perhaps this is because the prof has offered us lea-way with the due time (I could submit it later in the day if I choose), but in general I think it is due to a kind of warm security that keeps swirling around, for some reason.
I am sure it will not last, so I am enjoying it for the time being.
John and I are taking a breather in my office. He is doing a crossword and I am updating this thing … such is a “break” when you come to the last week of classes!
My coffee is hot and delicious. For once the coffee shop in the Concourse was not too bothersome, though they have hired some Fonzie-wannabe “hunk” down there, and this appears to have increased the number of girls hanging around the joint.
Still, I am unfazed.
Got an email from Dr. B. today, re: Chaplin presentation, which he called “smart and interesting” and “excellent,” and for which he had no critical comments. This has, understandably, slapped a smile of gratification on my face. It is nice when you do something well and you know it, but it is nicer still when this feeling is confirmed.
He says he is looking forward to the paper. And, actually, I can honestly say I am looking forward to writing it. I have never had such a gratifying topic to chew on, and this has renewed some of my resolve to work more with Chaplin … Can anyone else see a book on the horizon?
Comprehensive exam book list for January 2006 PhD exams was sent out today, and I notice they have added Film and Religion (John Lyden, 2003). I feel so touched by the inclusion. And I still look forward to submitting my second comp list. And, strangely, I am anticipating some real enjoyment from writing these exams … Why? Not sure, but it is exciting. Imagine it: 35 books picked by experts in the field! Imagine the things I will learn.
Gives me goose pimples. And, yes, I am a nerd.
So tuition is due in a month, and I am less than flush right now, and we have no idea what John’s job will be for the summer, but I find myself surprisingly content in my situation (as Charlotte Lucas would say).
Now I must get to the hairy business of getting 25 pages written in the next 12 to 15 hours. But I’m still smiling!
Hope you all are same. Peace and contentment to you all.

No comments:
Post a Comment