Wednesday, October 26, 2005

I Can Talk, I Can Talk… I Can Siiiiiiiiiiiing!

Well, maybe not sing yet, but a good line is a good line. I overslept horrendously today (which I blame on the cold weather making my hibernation instincts kick in), but when I woke up, other than having a head full of cotton wool, I felt pretty good. My throat still hurts, but at least I can get up to my usual volume and endurance. So, I guess, no permanent damage. What’s one more callous on an already overused vocal chord?

It sounds like the Stompersons have moved to Waterloo from Hamilton, Catherine. They now live above me! The odd thing is that it isn’t regular; it is primarily on Tuesday and Wednesdays only that they clog around like sumos on pogo-sticks, and I hear a strange whining/screaming sound above my head when I am in the study. Last week I finally went to complain. The woman up there had about seven children ranging in ages 2 to 12, and they were screaming so loud she didn’t even hear me at the door. Sometimes I can hear some child having a psychotic temper tantrum above me until 2am. These kids definitely have problems, and they only seem to “visit” once a week. Presumably so their natural parents can go to therapy themselves for wanting to drown the little sons ‘a bitches.

So, basically, I have either a kiddie torture ring, or a child mental camp above me. Oh well, as long as they usually shut up before I go to bed, I really don’t care about their lives.

My sleep patterns are getting to be a problem, though. On Monday and Wednesday nights I can’t even buy sleep, and I have class at 9am on Tuesdays and Thursdays. However, every other night I have to pry myself away from my pillows… It’s getting a bit old. Either grad school is stripping away even the barest hint of normalcy that I did have, and finally killing off the last of my still-functioning biological systems, or I am just loosing my mind. Either way, I have to get this regulated or I am never going to finish everything before the term ends.

*sigh* Well, have to go get my reading done… Now it is back to Talal Asad for THREE more weeks! Don’t get me wrong, I love the guy, and his work has become very crucial to my own, but that will make five weeks spent on his two books, and I’m getting a bit sick of going over him with such a fine-tooth-comb, for weeks and weeks on end. Islam class was never fun, but it would be nice to do something yet undiscovered, just for a change of pace.

Between sleep issues, Damien, Carol Anne and their friends upstairs, a sore throat, and an-ever growing sense of boredom and restlessness (combined with more than a hint of fear over my term papers), I am in good shape, eh?

*sigh*

6 comments:

H. said...

Frankly, I'd be surprized if the woman hadn't tried that already. Maybe their Dark Lord keeps them save from sedatives.

I'd be better off calling for an old priest and a young priest, methinks...

H. said...

Yes, yes they are.

Brrr.

Catherine said...

Yeah, when the Stompersons left, I thought the Leadfoot family moved in, but between the time the Stompersons left and the next upstairs neighbours arrived, the terrible super put in hardwood floors, so it wasn't really the Leadfoots' fault.

H. said...

Stomping would be OK... Wrestling and temper tantrums, on the other hand... NOT OK.

LaTina said...

hmm. my brother's name is damien. as soon as i was old enough to watch the omen, i began to think this was hilarious.

glad you're feeling better, and good luck with the noisy neighbors. my noisy upstairs neighbor works on an offshore rig, so he's not home for weeks at time.

H. said...

That's great... I wonder if I can hook those kids up with oil rig jobs...

Powered By Blogger