Saturday, October 15, 2005

Help Me- I’m a Yuppie!


From the Wikipedia:

"Yuppie", short for "Young Urban Professional," describes a demographic of people comprising baby boomers as well as people in their late twenties and early thirties. Yuppies tend to hold jobs in the professional sector, with incomes that place them in the upper-middle economic class. The term "Yuppie" emerged in the early 1980s as an ironic echo of the earlier "hippies" and "yippies" who had rejected the materialistically oriented values of the business community. Although the original yuppies were "young," the term now applies as well to people of middle age.

I am now a Yuppie, or soon will be if I get a job that pays… Now have two young marrieds as friends. We are now the sort of people who have “other couples” “over” for coffee and board games! Dear Lord, how did this happen???

A fellow PhD student, Andrew, and his very sweet wife, Amanda, came over to watch Zelig and we chatted (notice the word usage there) about the travails of cat ownership, work and traveling for the holidays… John and I even walked them to the door of the apartment and bid them goodnight together as they left. We even promised to “Do this again sometime.” What has happened to the old, schlumpy Holly of yesteryear? Have I become so thirty-something already??

Only yesterday, it seems, I had an edge… I was against the grain, and ran counter to the herd. Now this… Can little alligators on my clothes be too far behind?

Help.

I think I’ll go get a tattoo… A big one.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger