Cripes. I have yet to finish reading Malcolm X for Tuesday, let alone the five articles I have to read along with it, and I still have to finish my proposal and short review paper, also due for Tuesday. Man, I wish profs would learn to spread out readings and workload evenly from week to week.
My review paper is on Many Petals of the Lotus, one of the most obnoxious and pointless litany of factoids I have ever been cursed with. The fun part is that the author is a prof in our department and friends with the prof who will mark my review. Yay for trying to find enough positive bullshit to fill four pages! Now, if I were free to be crabby about it, I’d have no trouble with ten pages…
Unfortunately, all this work means that my minutes for RCS will be last-minute and low-on-the-priority-list AGAIN. I hate the feeling that I have taken on this obligation and responsibility only to do it half-assedly, but what else can I do?
The “To-Do” list for Tuesday’s 701 also means that Wednesday will be another fevered nightmare trying to keep up with the readings for my Islam class, as well. You know, one of those situations that you promise “will never happen again,” but ends up occurring every single week.
The truly crappy point to all this is the level to which I am able to delude myself into seeing light from around every corner. Every week I tell myself that if I can just get through such and such errand or task then my term will suddenly be so much lighter. Not so! Finishing one task only brings a new urgency on the next, and so forth…
Like a snake eating its own tail, this degree is spinning out of control.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I must go jump in front of traffic so I can get an extension on my proposal.

4 comments:
Well, given my frame of mind, I would probably just see death as just another deadline to deal with...
Right now, it looks tons better. However, ask me again next week...
yeah, i don't even bother kidding myself about things like that anymore. i know by now that the flurry of absolutely frenzied work that occurs week after week is bound to happen again - in like 2 days. but it's so my own fault. i'm a born procrastinator, and mountains of work be damned.
good luck, and may your piles of work get smaller.
Yes, at least the list DOES get smaller, even if it doesn't feel like it!
Good luck! (To all of us)
Post a Comment