I like to teach, and, sometimes, I’m good at it. I’ve had some very good classes, and some not-so-good ones, but usually they are fine. However, today’s class made me realize that all of my past teaching experiences have been complete garbage compared to the ultimate experience.
Today’s tutorials ruined me for all others.
The scales are off my eyes- like one who used to read about love, and then experienced it.
Today I absolutely freaking killed!
I talked, I joked, I illustrated, I asked their opinions, and I managed to look (and sometimes actually WAS) interested in their answers. Today I gave them exactly the concise and modulated information they need for success on the next assignment, and they hung on my every word.
Now I know how Moses felt! (It may be going to my head, methinks!)
And here’s the kicker… My first tutorial begins at 12.30, and ends at 1.20pm. Usually, I can time this according to when people start packing up (usually at about 1.15pm). Today they didn’t start to pack up at all. Listening, taking notes, participating- they lost track of time and so did I... I had to tell THEM it was time to go! We went to 1.25 before I noticed, and there actually was a groan when I called it quits.
Went out for a smoke afterwards (yes, it was that good), and the students who joined me praised me universally… The BEST class they have had in university, they raved. Not even tutorial, but CLASS.
I know they can’t all be this way, but this has shown me what I can do if I prepare and am ready to fully engage the work for which I am hired. This is a new era for Holly. No more slacking off when it comes to teaching…
THIS is what I am here for.
It could get addictive.

1 comment:
I know- it was a great salve after the Yom Kippur affair.
Post a Comment