Sunday, October 30, 2005

The Highs and Lows of Society Life

Well, you can’t say that the party tonight was the highlight of the social year. In fact, no one showed up. My friend the monk had obligations at his temple, so he emailed his regrets on Friday. (Always mindful that guy- what a prince!) No one else sent regrets, but still, come 6pm, no one was at our door.

It turns out, though, that the three people I expected to come all (eventually) contacted me, but I was feeling pretty low at about 7pm, when I was woefully plastic-wrapping all that spread out food.

One of my friends emailed me at about 8pm to tell me that she had fallen asleep, and didn’t wake up in time. She claimed “tummy upset” kept her from leaving her couch. Fair enough… Though I thought that excuse only worked for gym class.

At about 8.30pm our buzzer rang. I was in the middle of tutorial prep and was unenthusiastic when I answered. However, it was out new “couple” friends from down the street, very apologetic and bearing a gift of a burned copy of A Tale of Two Sisters (2003). They had had a surprise in-law attack, and were only just then able to weasel away for an hour. They had hot chocolate, we caught up, and then they left at around 9.45pm.

Then John and I finished watching Harry and Tonto (1974), a sad and mellow tale about an old man and his cat trying to find their place in the world, and now I am back to tutorial preparations.

So, over all, not the Hallowe’en I had envisioned, but them’s the breaks, kids.

However, I do have some pretty good friends. Friends who didn’t so much as abandon me, as had their visits postponed.

Happy Hallowe’en, everybody!

1 comment:

H. said...

Yeah, but you can't come to my party, either... Unless you mail yourself.

Powered By Blogger