Tuesday, July 18, 2006

They Shoot Bloggers, Don’t They?

The propaganda:

On July 29, hundreds of bloggers from around the world will put their endurance to the test for charity, blogging every 30 minutes for 24 hours straight. This is the Sixth Annual International Blogathon, an event that creates a worldwide community for a day, serves up fascinating content, and most importantly, raises tens of thousands of dollars for dozens of charities. Bloggers choose the charity and collect sponsorships. At the end of the event, those sponsors fulfill their pledges directly with the charity.

It's not too late to sign up if you'd like to blog! You can also help by sponsoring a blogger, just check out the List of Bloggers at the site. Stay up late, make a difference.

24 hours of solid blogging, every half hour, for a worthy cause. I fear that not even my narcissism would withstand this challenge.

Would I be mad to enter my name in the ring for this? Would any of you out there ever care to read 48 posts? Would anyone, ever, donate money for that?

And yet… I think I am in danger of actually doing this thing.

How much would you pledge to the William Holden Wildlife Foundation, should my rationality suddenly take a turn for the worse? (As to the specific choice of charity, I think it is only fair after the solid month of entertainment he has afforded me.) Hell, a check for $5 wouldn’t buy much giraffe food, but it just may buy you 48 posts if you aren’t careful.

Please, drop me a line and tell me I am crazy for even considering this. (Or, alternatively, tell me you’d love to see me post for 24 hours, and/or give me content hints.)

The thought of signing up went from a joke to something I am actually contemplating… How did that happen? I knew I was in trouble when I started to estimate how much material I would need, and how I would go about it… That is a bad sign. I have surely cracked.

Anyone care to join me?

7 comments:

H. said...

BTW, can anyone place the ref in this post's title? Ummm... 10 points if you can get it first, cause it's not all that hard.

Amanda said...

I honestly fear joining you. Just because I can't imagine blogging an entire day of my life away. Even if it WAS for a charity.

Catherine said...

There is no way I'll join you. I can barely manage 2 posts a week, let along 48 in a day!
And, I'm glad I can redeem myself from the Jimmy the Crab post by quoting from one of your favourite movies: "harses, harses, harses..."
10 points! Huzzah!

H. said...

Amanda: It is not "blogging away" you time, it is preserving it. Honestly, the average human wastes probably 20 hours of their day anyway, so why not do something unusual with it?

Catherine: 10 points to you! (And I think you would get into the swing of things and have no trouble filling 48 posts.)

Amanda said...

I think it is the fact that I would be needing to do this every thirty minutes. Blogging, an act I am not thoroughly into in the first place. And committing to it means that I really couldn't do anything else with that day. What if I suddenly was gripped with the urge to go hiking or something?

It is the possibilities of what might come up that I'd enjoy doing better on that particular day, a day I cannot see into at this point. It's just too much to ask.

H. said...

You really need not defend yourself to me. Do whatever you want, and enjoy.

H. said...

However, if I do do this thing, you can all help by:

- Sponsoring me (PLEASE!)
- Sending me lots of emails, comments and AIMs to keep me awake and energetic. I also plan on taking requests and questions throughout.
- Drop by and participate in trivia quizzes and polls that I have planned
- Take part in the activities I have planned, which may include a remote veg head requiring AIM and the simultaneous viewing of The Wild Bunch
- Publicize my cause on your own blog

Uh oh... All this sounds horribly like I am really gonna do this thing. I am doomed. It is only denial that keeps up any pretense of "I'm thinking it over."

Dang.

Well, if I come to my senses, the event it still worthwhile, so replace all the "I"s and "my"s above with some other poor blogger's name! (I plan on helping other bloggers publicize their causes, what ever way I choose to go.)

Powered By Blogger