Friday, July 21, 2006

OK, Team, Let’s Go


Blogathon 2006 is just over a week away, and today is the last day to enroll your blog for charity.

I am growing more and more pleased with my decision to do this thing. The more I see of The Mount Kenya Wildlife Conservancy, the more eager I am to help them out. This is a charity I can really get behind.

All things considered, since there are no charities that work towards the total eradication of silverfish from the face of the earth, saving the animals of Kenya is really the next best thing.

(And before any smart ass points it out, yes I know that that is prejudiced and hypocritical – hating one life form and loving another. However, I don’t care; and, yes, it is because silverfish are ugly. I pretend nothing. But then, when was the last time you had an uncomfortable mountain bongo infestation in your kitchen? I say less silverfish, more bongo, and I stand by that – the type of antelope, not the drum, that is.)

In any case, the blogathon is full steam ahead, and word is currently spreading across my email list, so I can’t back out now.

I have had some response to my insanity, including some well wishing and some stunned gasps. I am appeased by this. I especially wish to thank Katie, who sent me some very neat photos from her recent trip to Kenya, where she was a volunteer this summer. All such materials are welcome, as anything that can dress the thing up will help keep me awake and help entertain you, you vultures.

Now, there is the unpleasant matter of money to discuss. The major issue is that most of my friends and associates are all students, new grads or bohemian-types with absolutely zip by way of disposable income. This rather dooms my venture from the start, so I am begging people who can to at least toss a fin my way. Come on – a fin for the animals! You can do that!

With the The Mount Kenya Wildlife Conservancy, 100% of your donations go straight to the animals. You pay the charity directly (not me), and can pay via PayPal right on their website. You can be an animal’s hero with so little effort it should be criminal! Who are you to resist?

Sponsor Me!

Just $10 buys chimp food for a week. Think of that!

The major thing is that shame, embarrassment and bitterness would, I am sure, finally over-take me for good if I were to do this thing for no more than the price of my own pledge. I would like to say my ego isn’t wrapped up in this, but there you have it.

I play to win, even in charity.

So, please, please, please… If not for me, at least won’t somebody please think of the chimps?

2 comments:

Falkor said...

Good intention to work for. God bless.

Falkor

H. said...

Thanks much.

Powered By Blogger