Wednesday, July 05, 2006

It’s a Lovely Morning.

Really, that’s all I wanted to say.

I grabbed a cup of coffee and took a walk for about two hours at dawn. Birds, squirrels, bunnies, field mice – all taking their rightful place as kings of the earth before the humans start scurrying around. A herd of wild geese covered the hill down the street, moving en masse down to the water like a school of feathery fish. The flowers were opened, and I think I may have seen the truest royal blue I have ever experienced.

There were scads of small, weak baby birds making fledgling flights at the reservoir. For some reason, watching them learn made me feel optimistic and refreshed about work and life in a way I haven’t been in a little while.

(And, no, I haven’t been depressed – just burnt out, I guess. That Jack Benny piece, and the rush of it, took a lot more out of me than I thought, I think.)

A woman I went to school with a few years ago has died. She wasn’t old; she wasn’t even sick for very long. I wasn’t friends with her, really, but I am sad to hear the news. She was a good student. It is a shame she will not get to finish her doctoral degree. In some ways, she deserved her PhD more than many of us who still get the chance to keep trying. I know it would have meant a lot to her.

Still, those baby birds made me smile. I am smiling still.

It really is a lovely morning.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger