
I have been listening to a lot of music these days, by way of making my mini-break as relaxing as possible, and part of this relaxation technique has sent me to the 50s and early 60s. Therefore, as not much is actually occurring around here these days, I’d thought I’d give you an earful.
So, I now present 50 More of the World’s Coolest Songs According to Holly, in keeping with the stereotype of the self-centered and egotistical Blogger who, having no friends, feels the need to foist his or her tastes onto uncaring strangers.
I am pleased to bring you fifty more songs that quake me, shake me, and give me goose pimples all over:
1. 16 Tons (Tennessee Ernie Ford)This isn’t my first list, and I doubt it will be my last. I’d like to see your all-time-greatest-songs lists out there, too. So, instead of insulting my taste via the comments, make your own and leave your calling card.
2. Ac-cent-tchu-ate the Positive (Johnny Mercer)
3. Ain’t No Sunshine (Bill Withers)
4. All or Nothing at All (Frank Sinatra)
5. Avalon (Al Jolson)
6. Baby Please Don’t Go (Them)
7. Baby Step Back (Gordon Lightfoot)
8. Be My Life’s Companion (The Mills Brothers)
9. Dedicated to You (Ella Fitzgerald)
10. Easier Said Than Done (The Essex)
11. Everybody’s Talkin’ (Harry Nilsson)
12. Everyone Loves a Lover (Doris Day)
13. Go Away Little Girl (Steve Lawrence)
14. Going Out of My Head (Little Anthony & the Imperials)
15. How Important Can it Be (Joni James)
16. Hurt (Timmy Yuro)
17. I’d Rather Go Blind (Etta James)
18. I’m Your Man (Leonard Cohen)
19. I’ve Got to Use my Imagination (Gladys Knight & the Pips)
20. If I Didn’t Care (The Ink Spots)
21. It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World (James Brown)
22. Jerkin’ Back ‘n’ Forth (DEVO)
23. Joseph, Joseph (The Andrews Sisters)
24. No Particular Place to Go (Chuck Berry)
25. Opus One (The Mills Brothers)
26. Paper Doll (The Mills Brothers)
27. Powder Your Face With Sunshine (Dean Martin)
28. Roll um Easy (Little Feat)
29. Sha-boom (The Crew Cuts)
30. She’s a Lady (Tom Jones)
31. Since I Fell for You (Lenny Welch)
32. Sittin’ on Top of the World (Bobby Darin)
33. Sixty-Minute Man (The Dominoes)
34. Small Axe (Bob Marley)
35. Some Kind of Wonderful (The Drifters)
36. Sukiyaki (Kyu Sakamoto)
37. The Tracks of my Tears (Smokey Robinson & the Miracles)
38. These Arms of Mine (Otis Redding)
39. To Bring You My Love (PJ Harvey)
40. Use Me (Bill Withers)
41. Volare (Bobby Rydell)
42. Walking My Baby Back Home (Nat ‘King’ Cole)
43. We Three (The Ink Spots)
44. When a Woman Loves a Man (Billie Holiday)
45. Why Do Fools Fall in Love? (Frankie Lymon)
46. You Beat Me to the Punch (Mary Wells)
47. You Don’t Know Me (Ray Charles)
48. You Never Can Tell (Chuck Berry)
49. You Send Me (Sam Cooke)
50. You Showed Me (The Turtles)
I’ve already started compiling song list III. The aim is to make it to a master list of 500 songs sometime before either I or the blog dies… With the dissertation looming, this is a very practical goal, indeed.

5 comments:
What? No metal?
You're right. The next one will be Gwar-heavy, I promise.
Just make sure Blogger can handle umlauts...
Nice list -- I must borrow this for an ipod playlist . . .
I am absolutely thrilled that someone has found this list interesting... It always kills me when such things get no comment-type-attention. Thank you, and enjoy (there are some really, really awesome songs here).
Post a Comment