Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Wild


I have spent my last day (waking day, not calendar day, as I have been up since 8am Monday) of vacation-y freedom watching The Wild Bunch (1969) twice. I don’t know whether it amuses me or depresses me. All I know is it is one hell of a good movie.

I just hope that watching it twice within the space of 24 hours doesn’t make me go Power Rangers on somebody, but I think I may safely be out of age range for the effects of TV violence. Besides, anything that outrageously bloody has to be an anti-violence picture. It sure as shite wouldn’t sell NRA memberships. (And if it does, someone is missing some pretty important points about this picture.)

In local news, I received word this morning that I have been accepted for my first big conference, and will be traveling, all expenses paid, to Vancouver in October… Now all I need is to write the stinking paper.

So the CV will be fattened up in time for grant application season. This makes me smile, and I feel a huge knot of tension dissipate from the base of my skull.

“I’m gonna make it, after all!” (Toss beret.)

I am barely awake, so this is all the update I am capable of. It is back to school work when I wake up, but it has been a great break while it lasted.

3 comments:

LaTina said...

congrats! all expenses paid trips are awesome. you just have to work your butt off to earn them... and then there's the work you have to do while you're there... but they're still nice.

running42k said...

Vancouver, very cool. Congrats on that good news.

H. said...

Thank ye.

And, yes, some work. But on a topic I love, so the work will really be *limiting* myself to 20 minutes.

Powered By Blogger