Thursday, July 06, 2006

Holy Schmoke!


This week is a wash. Better face it now, so I can enjoy it at least. My batteries are low, so I have decided it is best to just run with it for now, and actually get some real rest. My nerves are a little shot, my attention span is low, my energy is scattered, and I am tired – but I am usually too wound up to sleep. All the classic signs of fatigue.

I have declared a vacation, at least until Sunday, I think.

I have spent the last hour window-shopping at Amazon and adding to my already obscenely long wish list (which is one heck of a good list of films, though, even if I do say it myself). What a productive use of time!

Tomorrow, I must stroll to campus and negotiate my student loan papers before the heat and humidity comes back, but tonight is completely free to wallow in my own inertia.

I have been watching Sunset Blvd. (1950) non-stop since Saturday, and the William Holden phase continues unabated. However, tonight I may take time out from my recent obsession, and watch The Great Gabbo (1929), instead. (Though, since both it and Sunset feature Erich von Stroheim, the world’s most awesome Prussian, perhaps it doesn’t count as a break.)

(The Great Gabbo is a lot like von Stroheim himself: Both are amusing and terrifying all at the same time. And schizophrenic ventriloquists! I always get so scared that I drop my lollipop and it gets all-over icky!)

I have snacks, and the cat, and my movies, and a stack of CDs, and a schmaltzy novel. What more could I ask for? (Actually, given the size of my wish list, it is clear that I could ask for more – including DVD copies of The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) and The World of Suzie Wong (1960) – but I am still fairly satisfied … for now.)

2 comments:

hemlock said...

I so hope that you are able to recharge sometime soon. It felt like last week I didn't sleep more than 5 hours per night, and I'm a 8 hour per night kinda gal.

Here's to 'vacations'!!

H. said...

Yes. I haven't really taken any time off since early May, so it seems fair that the batteries need to re-charge. For some reason, I am actually working harder this summer than I did during the "school year."

Good luck on the thesis!

Powered By Blogger