
(I heard that – very funny.)
Seriously, I have heard a song a couple times on the late night (no DJ) jukebox on Toronto 740 that sounds exactly like Frank Sinatra singing “99 Miles from LA.”
As far as I can tell, the only recordings of this song were by Johnny Mercer (certainly NOT this version), Art Garfunkel (not it), Nancy Sinatra (not it), Julio Iglesias (not it), and, of course, by Albert Hammond (the original artist… possibly? Not the 1977 version, that is for sure).
Does anyone out there know of what I speak? I am fairly familiar with all of Frankie’s studio albums, but this has me beat… Maybe one of his obscure concert albums from Australia or Poland or something in the 80s?
The worst of it is that I can’t even figure out if I love the song or hate it. The goopy background vocals drive me nuts, but the nausea is somewhat similar to the negative way I reacted to Leonard Cohen’s I’m Your Man album (one of his best) when I first heard it.
However, the fact that I can’t get it out of my skull may merely be a figment of my imagination until this mystery is solved! Please help!
(On a side note, Phil Harris’ “Bare Necessities” suddenly strikes me as a surprisingly wonderful song, while Toronto singer Amy Sky’s version of “Love me Tender” is one of the most wretched and soul-sucking experiences I have had to sit through in a while.)
***


3 comments:
Folks, it seems that the Blogathon website is down, yet again. Try again later, pleeease. Your patience is much appreciated!
Holls, did this song sound like it's of a newer quality? How's the production value?
Definitely 80s... Sounds studio to me, but possibly from one of his TV specials.
Post a Comment