Tuesday, May 02, 2006

We're Back in the Ring, Charlie!



I got my last unofficial grade back, and I am standing now with a full four classes, the sum total of my PhD course work, all A's! Take that, SSHRC and OGS committees! The Advisor is pleased. I am pleased. The cat is pleased… Well, he’s purring, anyway. But, then, he gets to sleep all day and have someone else pay all his bills, so why shouldn’t he purr?

The prof loved the Chaplin paper. It’s definitely going out to journals this month. Thank you, Charlie, you have saved my life!

If only Chaplin could get us jobs, then I’d personally try to get him sainted, no matter what indiscretions lie around in his closet.

Like the shot heard around the world, it has begun. We were slowed down my illness, but we are finally fighting ready for the hunt.

John faxed off his first job application yesterday. A dream job, and I don’t say that lightly. Thirty-five hours a week, at 17 bucks an hour, doing archival cataloging at the local library’s regional history research facility - What a deal! John is fairly right for the job, too, so we hope for the best.

Other than that, there are quite a few factory and landscaping type stuff, but the joy has been sucked out of those by this dream position… Oh well, something that pays but doesn’t degrade. That’s the goal.

So now it is back to playing beat the clock with my publications and my comp readings. Did I say that this summer was without enough things to do?? Well, maybe I have revised that position. There’s stuff to do, alright. The only problem is that it doesn’t pay.

Ah, but there’s always the love of learning right? Sure - I've got my love to keep me warm (by which I mean fed, clothed and paid up in rent).

I wish it worked that way. I really do.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger