Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me!

28 years ago this morning, doctors were telling my mum that I was dead and would have to be extracted stillborn. She was horrified, of course. Then, as luck would have it, the guys in white figured out that the machine wasn't actually plugged in.

So 28 years ago, right about now, I came kicking and wailing into this world. Very likely the same way I’ll go out, only I’m pretty sure the end will involve a bus or other large vehicle of some variety.

Still, tonight, all is well with the world. I found hidden money in a forgotten bank account from back in the day, and my new corny, and oh-so-amateur, Geocities website went up with only a few hours’ worth of cursing.

(For those of you who are laughing at me right now, I’ll have you know this isn’t just vanity. In this program, the policy says we have to take a non-credit course in web design for professional, i.e. resume, use, and for classroom instruction purposes. This Geocities thing is so I can have some practice before I have to get graded on the thing.)

Also, John survived his first day of work, and seemed to have made a big hit. He thinks he’s going to like it there, so that is a load off the mind.

And, finally, I couldn’t bring myself to do much comp reading. Instead I asked myself what I would like to do most with my birthday, and the answer came back, “Listen to Our Miss Brooks episodes until my ears bleed.” So, after a little Google activity, I came up with some free download sites, and I was truly in seventh heaven.

I didn’t win the Charlie Chaplin CD boxed set contest I entered, but I am OK with that, and I have almost stopped pouting. (Back when we were completely broke and hopeless, this was our master plan to get me a birthday gift.)

Grand total: a handful of second hand books; a previously viewed movie; two horrendously awful movies from the dollar store (wait until I review them!); $100 from the folks; three birthday cards; one card in the mail; a birthday-eve/new job pizza; two telephone calls; two “Happy Birthday” blog comments; hours of slacking off; a new web page hobby; three birthday emails; one ice cream cone after supper.

Not too shabby. Can’t wait until 29!

(Yes, actually, I can.)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger