Thursday, May 04, 2006

Another Day

I slept in until 9am today, which should bother me than it does… But maybe I deserve some extra rest.

I finished two drafts of the Benny piece yesterday, and just as soon as I finish re-reading the piece again I will do a review for Clapboard Jungle. I finished a bunch of comp reading last night, and yesterday I made some academic contacts. (Awwwww – little Holly is learning to network!) And The Swank Puppy seems to be on the final legs of its construction, and I would not be surprised to see it open its doors very soon. I will have a grand-opening post as soon as it is ready.

And, best of all, John has his first job interview! Let’s all keep our fingers crossed, but I am hopeful. The guy on the phone sounded a bit immigrant-y. Immigrants are the over-educated job hunter’s best friend – they don’t seem to be prejudiced against graduate degrees. Hick bosses hate you on sight if you have a grad degree, and they reckon you will certainly leave them for NASA next week, even if your MA is in philosophy and no one will ever hire you. But if anyone can understand the personal, yet still not economic, value of education, it’s some poor immigrant who probably knows at least three guys with MDs who are driving cabs. Here’s hoping this works out.

It’s muggy here, and the sky looks ripe for a storm of some sort. It seems to me that spring has already bit the dust for the year. Why do the good seasons always die so young?

We are still keeping our heads above water financially, thanks to an extra $80 tossed our way by a concerned parent (not mine, I assure you – they are concerned, but more broke than I am). All in all, everything is progressing fairly nicely.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger