
What started out as a funny coincidence has ended up in full blown obsession.
A while ago we got a shipment of cheap old movies on DVD in the mail, and one that we had ordered (a Mexican farce involving Santa Claus battling the Devil to save Christmas) did not arrive. In its place, we were sent 1951’s Happy Go Lovely, starring Vera-Ellen and David Niven. We meant to call and correct the error and mail the wrong disc back, but one thing led to another and we never did.
On Wednesday, I decided that too much time had passed, and, as it was super cheap anyway, we’d just keep the unexpected movie. I generally had a nice disposition towards Niven, so it was no hardship. I sat down to watch the romantic comedy, only to find (when I looked it and him up on IMDB) that March 1 was Niven’s birthday. Funny coincidence, I thought, at first… By the time all 96 delightful minutes had passed, I was convinced it was fate.
Have gone past the “nice disposition” to a full-blown crush on the guy! Gawky, awkward, and funny, yet sweet, charming and strangely classy, Niven is my new freak obsession. An English actor and writer, Niven acted in over 100 films, and a number of high-end teleplay presentations during his lifetime, but may be best remembered for his wit under pressure at the 46th Oscars ceremony.
When a streaker passed him during his presentation, Niven blithely responded, “The only laugh that man will ever get in his life is by stripping and showing off his shortcomings.” Ah! Style, charm, and wit— a winning combination!
So thank you mail-order fates. Now if you could see fit to send me a cheap copy of The Bishop’s Wife (1947), that would make your work complete.
"Keep the circus going inside you, keep it going, don't take anything too seriously, it'll all work out in the end" ~ David Niven (March 1, 1910- July 29, 1983).

3 comments:
10 points to whomever can name the Brit-com referenced in the title of this post!
Oh lord, I have no idea. But I'd like to say that I enjoyed him hugely in that movie "Murder By Death" which stars the heck out of Peter Falk. I really adore Peter Falk.
But David Niven's words at one point made me laugh forever, when he says something about being saved from doom by being "enormously well bred."
I wish I could remember it word for word, but I am horrid at remembering quotes.
If I said "Think of a famous floorwalker", would that help in the trivia...?
And yes, I like all references to doddering Brits who do, it seems, believe that breeding will out- even when faced with a volcano!
A terrible and untrue stereotype, but at least an amusing one!
Ah... British men. Breeding will certainly out.
Post a Comment