Sunday, March 12, 2006

Lespisma sacchrina (Linnaeus)


Out, out, damn bug!

Yes, we are under siege. No, it is not Commies, or, worse, Republicans (shudder). It is the terror of the library— the lespisma sacchrina, otherwise known as the Silverfish.

Soft and low to the ground, these devils are fast and agile. And they seem to have been growing in number since the spring thaw began (is this fair?). We had a few before, as they seemed attracted to the cat’s food. However, we got a food mat to put under his bowls, and this seemed to take care of the problem.

Now they are back in even greater numbers.

We are now on a strict regime of changing the garbage frequently enough to be considered slightly mental, and we now vacuum the kitchen crevices about twice a day. We also spray the joint between the floor and counter-skirt with some concoction of kitchen cleaner, Agent Orange, and vinegar, daily- although this worries me because they’re supposed to like the damp, and I don’t want them to enjoy their stay any more because of my efforts.

I am hoping just to make the place inhospitable enough to make them pack their little insect bags and move on.

I don’t like to kill things… I don’t want to kill things. I consider myself a pretty animal-friendly person. For example, I make sure never to walk on worms outside during the rain… However, in those cases, the worms are OUTSIDE, not in my bloody kitchen. So I don’t know what to do. I could call the super, but I don’t want a bushel of poisons in my kitchen— my cat can be a nuisance some times, but that’s not the way I want him to go. Collateral damage in the war against the silverfish population of Waterloo.

And it’s not like I can trap them and release them back into the wild- these things move faster than innuendo.

I have come down to the realization that it may be a case of kill them or name them, and I am horrified.

So, I am stuck squirting them with vinegar whenever I see them, to make them slow enough to pick up with toilet paper. Then I dispose of the guilty evidence of my crimes (i.e. their little silver corpses). It is an ongoing genocide, and I am sick of it. But it has also become an obsession. I get up in the middle of the night to go throw the lights up, so I can catch them in the act of scuttling.

I am always thinking of how many of the little bastards might be living it up on my kitchen floor right now. And I pace around with my squirt bottle, waiting for them— trying to head them off at the pass before they can make it to my bookshelves.

Yes, I have become the Lady Macbeth of silverfish.

The numbers seem to be dwindling (or at least moving elsewhere— which is fine with me, as they probably originated in some stanky undergrad’s apartment, anyway), but I can’t shake the feeling that they are merely regrouping… In there under that sink and in their dark, damp holes, they are breeding and biding their time. Waiting for a chance to get their own feelers on that spray bottle…

To get their silverfish revenge on their oppressors. (I have always known that the bugs will inherit the earth, but I don’t want to be here to see it.)

It’s all too much. Please send help. We are desperate!

10 comments:

Amanda said...

You are living in my nightmare. Silverfish are somehow slightly better than the House Centipede though, I think only because they are slightly smaller.

House Centipedes are my #1 Buggy Terror.

And you are having the tiny version of it.


I wish you all the luck in the world. I am like you in that don't want them here but I don't want to kill them. I had some weird stinkbug or something in the kitchen. On my CLEAN JUST-WASHED dishes!! I thought it was a roach at first, so I was so relieved to realize it was instead something that moves very slowly. After panicking and capturing it with a really long piece of paper towel, it is back outside, where it belongs. And where it had better stay!

H. said...

Yes, I would pluck them and take them each outside, but they are too fast, too numerous, and too agile. And we live on the fourth floor.

However, there were about ten on Saturday, and only about five yesterday... So maybe the stock is dwindling.

We live in hope.

LaTina said...

hmmm... i get them in my bathroom. better than the kitchen, i suppose. and i never see more than one in a day... and some days, there aren't any at all. if they venture into my kitchen, though, i'm calling the complex manager and having the bug man do an extra sweep through my apartment.

i wish you luck.

H. said...

Everything I've seen says that if you get more than a few the infestation was in full swing for a long time. I have a sneaking suspicion that this one was waiting for us when we got here.

None were spotted today, so I hope that the tenents nearby are hosting these unwanted guests for a little while, and they have the gumption to poison the bastards into oblivian.

Otherwise, I may have to board the cat with a friend and spend a week chemicalizing them unto death.

*sigh*

Catherine said...

Hear, hear, Amanda, on the House Centipede being your #1 Terror. There aren't words to describe my hatred and terror of those things. And then my diabolical roommate told me that they bite! Oh, I slept well that night, I assure you I DIDN'T!

H. said...

House Centipedes also LOOK AT YOU! They turn their little heads and look at you... They size you up.

Bugs should not be able to this.

They are pure evil.

(Oh yes, and they also jump. This is also wrong.)

Amanda said...

When I lived at this one apartment building in Milwaukee, there seemed to be an unusual amount of house centipedes scurrying around like they do - ALL THE TIME (the worst being the enormous one coming out from the tank of the toilet while I was still on it. I honestly can't remember what happened when I saw it, and it's probably for the best) - but there was one, I am sure it was the grandfather of ALL house centipedes, on the hallway wall, and when we came out our door, it turned to look at us. And we stopped, in dread. And there was an uncomfortable staring match for a good minute and a half, each waiting for the other to make a move. My boyfriend whispered "I will get a newspaper and end this." And the house centipede HEARD THIS and jumped off the wall (there was an audible sound from its landing) and ran off at nightmare speeds on its five zillion Hell Legs.

So, apparently if they live long enough, they can learn English, or actually more likely, they can read your thoughts and intentions because they are psychic and possess small demonic powers.

H. said...

Arh! Arh!

Oh no. Screams!

Awful.

Shudder.

We had a HUGE one in Hamilton. It walked across the ceiling. John went after it. It looked at him and jumped towards him onto the wall.

It was horrible. I started to fear leaving my cat home alone.

Creepy. shudder.

Catherine said...

The biggest one I ever saw wasn't shocking for length, but girth. Black and evil and I'd say about as big around as a pencil, I can't believe my roommate was able to kill it. I screamed when I saw it, and then was frozen in fear. I didn't want to startle it because I thought it would cause a sonic boom (if size is proportional to speed). Jeremy managed to kill it, bless him. It left a greasy smooch on the wall that I never got up the courage to clean.

I looked them up on the internet after reading these comments and once again relived the fear. Really - I found my heart rate elevated. We do NOT have these in the Maritimes. Sure, the mosquitoes can carry sheep, but rather wade in a swamp in August than ever see another House Centipede.

H. said...

Yet another sign that G-d hates Ontario... Next there will be a plague of frogs.

Powered By Blogger