Sunday, November 06, 2005

Seven Degrees of Ira.

John was tired of working on his Moonie paper, so we took a break tonight to watch Two Weeks Notice (2002) - yes, the second time for me. What do you want, we paid to rent the damn thing, so we may as well get the use out of it!

Anyway, the fact that I seen the spiteful little red-headed lawyer in it (Alicia Witt) bothered me the other night until I realized she played Cybill Shepherd’s daughter in the (pretty crappy) CBS sitcom Cybill (1995). Tonight, this got me thinking about that sitcom, and I remembered that I really loved her father in that show- Alan Rosenberg (better known as Ira from that sitcom, a name by which I still refer to him- Despite the fact that he seems to be on some little show called The Guardian now).

During the second viewing of a, let’s face it, unspectacular movie, I started getting all nostalgic for the crush I had on the guy. He was on LA Law, as Eli, and guest starred on Murphy Brown… So basically every schlock American crapcom and melodrama that clogged the air waves during my formative years. (See his full CV at Nerf-Herders'- the supplier of the lovely photo for today's post.)

Thank you, Network TV! They seem to have warped my adolescent fantasies, what with Harold Gould from The Golden Girls, Rob Morrow from Northern Exposure, and this guy.

(For those of you unable to recognize even the most blatant of patterns, I appear to have a thing for 30-to-60-something Jewish men… Nothing I can do about that folks, it’s the anti-intermarriage gene implanted by my grandmother’s biogenetics lab crew working out of her busy Polish kitchen when I was only 10 months old. Most kids get Fisher-Price, I got a DNA-altering/activating serum in a ten-inch syringe.)

So, from that chippie in a pretty low-interest film, I got the joy of re-visiting an old friend I haven’t thought of in years. It took me a while to find out if my memories were even correct, because I couldn’t even remember the actor’s name, but here he is.

Ah, if only I could use these powers of research for good instead of ridiculous.

1 comment:

H. said...

Photo from Nerf-Herder's Anon. Thanks!

I never really noticed until now... Alan Rosenberg looks a little like Harpo Marx...

Huh. I wonder what THAT says about me...?

Powered By Blogger