Thursday, November 10, 2005

Bill!

I don’t want to jinx anything, but it has already been a pretty terrific day.

In Islam class, the prof has eased up considerably. I have a theory that, now that the drop-date has passed and claimed one victim, she is stuck with the rest of us (who survived the birthing process, as it were), and has decided to relax. We actually had a great class, with a lot of laughs and some really hard work put in by all – she even praised us at the end of session! We all left feeling bushels more secure and smart than we usually do on Thursday afternoons.

The title of this post is a reference from this session, which was probably more funny to all of us than to you, but I shall share it, anyway. Drawing a blank today while being pressed for a series of synonyms for “will” (as in free will), I blurted the only word in my head: “Bill!?!” Surprisingly, the prof laughed pretty soundly, and said I was clever… That’s one interpretation of it…

Just now, as I sit typing at my desk in my campus office, I can hear two “brittanies” (presumably blonde, perky, and in those godawful ugly pink mukluks they seem to favour around here) discussing my showing of The Believer (2001) tonight, while they wait in the hall by my door for class. It seems the “RATED R- FOR SEXUALITY, VIOLENCE AND OBJECTIONABLE MATERIAL (Veiwer Discretion is Strongly Advised)” warning label on the posters out there is having the desired effect. They sound pretty titillated… Or maybe it’s just the thought of Ryan Gosling in that said sexual content…

Yeah, but he doesn’t look very hot beating Jews up on the subway, though, but I won’t burst their bubble. I hope they come… And squeal.

(Holy Hannah! They just used the word "forbidden"... Like, say contortionist parlour sex in the Victorian ages...?)

So, it is now 4pm, and my lecture/showing isn’t until 7pm, so I have three hours in which to prepare my talk and grab some supper. AND, as this seems to be a pretty lucky day, I just discovered a DVD player in the computer, so I even have time to re-watch the thing.

Maybe this’ll actually go well… Unless I’ve cursed myself by being optimistic… Which I almost certainly have…

Uh… It’s snowing… So, yeah… What a crappy day…

(Does that reverse it??? Damned Evil Eye.)

1 comment:

H. said...

This is my 200th post since I started, on April 17th, 2005.

And I wonder where my time goes...

Powered By Blogger