Tuesday, November 22, 2005

It Hurts all Over... And all I Can Do is Ramble about it.

I am so tired that my vision goes blurry around the edges whenever I try to focus on any one thing. It’s cold today, but it feels as cold as death when you’re this tired. Wanna go home and sleep for three days…

I am in my office on campus, trying to get my reading done for the rest of the week so I can dedicate myself exclusively to fine-tuning my Rastafarianism presentation. However, right now, I couldn’t give three flying fibs about body practices in orthodox Islam in Egypt. Not sure if I ever would care a whole lot, but really nadda right now.

The campus is absolutely crawling with kids. Laurier really needs to consider, oh I don’t know, maybe REJECTING some applications for undergraduate admission. I think right now it’s a high school diploma, a 50% average and a checkbook. I know, rationally, that the high density feed lot approach to education pays for my scholarship and office (with all its fancy luxuries, like low-speed internet and ugly-assed phone), but I find it really hard to feel rational.

Ah, just a sec… ("Yes?")

...

OK, I was just interrupted by a knock at my office door. It was some little 18-year-old tart in a hideous beige parka with at least twelve dead rodents sewn to the hood. She thought this was her prof’s office… In Communication Studies… WRONG WING, Bambi. (Or, judging by the fur, the-cold-blooded-murderer-of-Bambi's-mom?)

Even worse? She thought I was her prof. It took every ounce of my strength for me to hold back the words: “Listen, if you don’t even know what your prof looks like by November, what the hell are you doing trying to find her? Just go home, chick, you’re doomed.”

I think that illustrates my point about higher admissions standards.

But I digress.

When I finish this reading (which normally would actually attract me a little, as it will be useful for my term paper on Judaism being mutated by Christian understandings of religion – Today, not so much), then comes the fun stuff. Then I get to watch Brooklyn Babylon (2002) (which mercifully came in super fast via Amazon) to choose a segment to show my seminar class for my presentation. Ah, yes, the joys of being “The Film Student.” Everybody likes my work best, because it has pictures… Pictures that move!!

Well, now I am just getting silly. However, you probably see the trajectory of my brain today. Tired and giddy… So I should probably sign off now and get back to reading.

Oh, one more thing. There was a bit of a lunch gathering in my office today after our ludicrous “How to use the Library” seminar this morning, and I got caught checking my blog. I told them I was moving into the study of Open Source Judaism communities in blog rings… They were impressed, actually, which makes me reckon that I can sell just about anything. I kept them going for about fifteen minutes before I decided I was pressing my luck and switched topics.

Man, who doesn’t love the gullible?

No comments:

Powered By Blogger