Saturday, November 26, 2005

Ugh. The Humanity.

Having come to a good plateau in my weekend’s work, I decided it was a good time to get us hence to the mall to grab a new pair of boots for John. The sub-zero weather and drifts made this kind of necessary.

Seeing that we would be there, anyway, we decided to go see Harry Potter while we were at it. I wanted to get it over with, especially before the two Potter fiends in my life come to visit over break. (Anyone out there who doesn’t consider themselves a dyed-in-the-wool Potter Head will sympathize with my lack of enthusiasm over going to the movie with big fans of the franchise.)

The sidewalks here seem never to have met a plow or shovel, but we eventually made it to the Conestoga Mall. Excitement! Absolutely crawling with scowling, unhygienic and possibly insane Christmas shoppers, and dripping with gaudy and horrible Christmas tackiness. I had forgotten that the American Thanksgiving marks the official start of the holiday crapulence at shopping centers. Yet, there I was, in the middle of Santa’s worst nightmare, watching sad people buy intently cheerful crap while threatening to rip their children’s limbs off if they didn’t shut up. Ah, yes. Christmas.

What better way to celebrate the birth of Jesus than to buy a Made-in-China plastic non-essential for your child and then spend a month threatening to take it away from him if he doesn’t sit down and shut up? It warms the heart.

Anyway, we managed to work our way through Payless, which was completely wall-to-wall soccer mom, and then to Zellers to grab a winter’s supply of dry cat food (the only place in town to get his brand). By the time we figured out there was no place in the mall to get food that hadn’t been slapped with a million cold cuts and a hundred dirty service gloves, it was about the time to head to the theatre for the bloody, freaking “magic” that is Harry Potter. All I could think of was getting home, but I said I’d go, so I went.

But when we entered the Galaxy such a sight hit me that I very nearly wet myself. Fifteen different lines, without signs telling us which one was for what. Flashing lights everywhere. Dozens of teenage theatre employees walking around like bomb survivors. Kids EVERYWHERE! It was horrible. If I close my eyes now, I can still hear the screams.

So, needless to say we did not deem it worth while to see a movie that I can take or leave, in a situation like that, for nearly thirty bucks. For that price I could BUY the freaking thing on DVD when it comes out. We came home and watched the Nibelungen (1923), instead. I stand by my decision.

So do not expect a review of Goblet on this blog for some time. Harry, it seems you and I will once again wait and meet in home entertainment format. I think I’ll live.

Say, “Goodbye, money,” Galaxy Cinemas. Say, “Goodbye.”

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I shudder at the thought of seeing a movie at a regular cinema on a weekend or evening. I am a strong supporter of dollar cinemas which show the movies 7 months after their release.

The seats may be furiously uncomfortable, but the empty theater and the unbelievably cheap prices make up for it!

H. said...

You are too true. I am much fonder of repertoire cinemas than of "real" ones, and now I think I have given up on them for good!

Imagine paying $30 per couple to see a film which may or may not be crappy, surrounded by people you didn't choose, and over whom you have no control.

That's it. No more.

No wonder Hollywood is feeling an economic pinch on first release profits. If a film student can abandon the practice, any one can.

And should.

Fight the power!

Catherine said...

I also support your leaving the theatre. Yes, I know, this might be surprising considering the content of the movie you were about to see (husbands), but I am a strong supporter of optimum viewing experiences, and watching a fun but still fairly dark movie surrounding by tiny screaming weasles is not my idea of ideal. Goon on you for bailing!

H. said...

Actually, it may not have even been the children. I mean, I don't LIKE children in any way shape or form, but if I go to a kids' movie (or quasi-kids' movie) I face the fact that it is I who am trespassing on their territory, not the other way around. (Thus, the four year old at _Hannibal_ was not in this category).

It actually was the crowd in general, and all the shitty ADULTS. Kids are annoying cause they just are. Adults choose to be that way.

That's the thing I can't handle.

PS> Thanks for understanding, Mrs. Radclife.

LaTina said...

ah, i too am a big fan of the home theater option. chad and i are lucky enough to have parents (his)who have the money to go out and purchase a dvd burner + vcr combo but lack the know-how to operate such a complicated piece of electronic wonder, thus donating it to their electronically-intelligent children. so we rent a lot of pay-per-view movies and burn our own dvd's. it's great... we get dvd's for a total cost to us of $5 each.

H. said...

YAY! Take that Hollywood!

Frankly, I think it is time we all start demanding that studios release product on home format the same time they release to theatres, and give us the choice. Many people would still rather go to theatres, but I think I am through.

Now it is just my beloved Princess theatre for me. It provides me with all the Jarmusch and marching penguins I could ever desire.

Powered By Blogger