Right now, my cat lies on the floor of my study with a shoelace double-knotted around his middle. He can’t undo it, due to his unfortunate lack of thumbs. I knew this, yet I still tied it to him. With a bow. I can only marvel at the depths of inhumanity his meaningless howls and spurts of bad behaviour (all while I am trying to get work done, out of a pettish desire to force my attention on him) lower me to. I don’t hit, I don't threaten, and I don’t yell, I just make sure he is in for a good stretch of discomfort and humiliation.OK, I untied it. Now, where he used to play with that lace with a charming, kittenish sense of fun, he now attacks it with a fresh gleam of vengeance in his eyes…
Now I understand better my feelings when I tied it to him.
Ah, yes - Insight into the animal within. What a treasure.

No comments:
Post a Comment