It is the end of the day, and I am settling down to do some work and to edit John’s term paper before bed. I rented some Albert Brooks flicks, and may watch one before turning in. I haven’t decided. However, I can say with some satisfaction that, considering what has been happening, I have had a day of such unexpected contentment that I am over whelmed with gratitude. Gratitude to John, to the nice folks at the Princess Theatre… To whoever allowed me to have some slice of happiness today.
After having a more restful sleep than I would have expected, I puttered away my afternoon with a long-needed walk to Tim’s and some outdoor time (we’ve been having blizzard after wretched blizzard here, so a peek outside is rare). I did a little work, and have started conceptualizing my first real rough draft of my dissertation proposal (so expect a copy whizzing off to you sometime soon, Catherine!).
We then decided to take to the road and make our way down to the Princess for a movie, and we saw Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World (2005), which I enjoyed very much whatever the critics may say about it. (I am working on a review, so expect it tomorrow if I can put what I saw into words.) This gave me such a hankering for more Al Brooks fare that I zipped all the way home to try to catch the rental place before they shut, and I was not disappointed.
Now we are home (which is finally quiet after the trashies’ big weekend hootenanny), and I have emails from a few friends waiting for responses (which is always cheerful). 2001’s My First Mister (which I adore), and 1999’s The Muse (I’ll let you know) are waiting for me in the queue. And, if I still have the taste (or stomach) for it, there’s always The Jazz Singer (1980) staring at me from my desk.
So here I am. Fine, and finding myself surprised at how fine I really am.
Sorry, but I have no comedy for you right now… I am more than happy to let others entertain me for the evening. Perhaps tomorrow I will feel funny, but, really, I am just pleased to know I can laugh myself, right now. It seems too much to hope that I can return the favour at this point.
Baby steps. It’s all about the baby steps.

2 comments:
First, big kudos on that great RS-Student title. Awesome. Second, send that puppy along. I'm missing academic stimulation (in moderation, of course).
YAY! You gotta love it when other people recognize your oblique references to works by CS Lewis that DON'T feature a talking lion!
And will probably have one by the end of the week. You will see it before the Advisor does, so you can help save me from embarrassment!
Post a Comment