Friday, February 03, 2006

Rule no. 1: Never accept “Elvis Takes ‘Em” as Sound Medical Advice.


We ventured into mall territory again. We were both so out of pants and socks that it was getting hard to leave the house. I decided that the lack of proper clothes was not (a) In keeping with my New Years Resolutions, (b) In keeping with my modesty, and (c) Helping me in my battle with apathy. (I have found that not having a decent pair of trousers often works as a great excuse just to stay in pajamas… Not what I need right now.)

We had our night at the movies with our friend Sio Thursday night. We didn’t get much of a chance to talk to her, as we showed up in time to see the picture, and left directly afterwards. Oh well, no one has time to chat any more. Most of us seem like it’s too much of a bother to breath, let alone talk, these days.

I have to admit that, earlier today, I was very much in the market for a reason not to go to the movies. In keeping with my low-ebb of energy, I so desperately just wanted to stay home and stare at things… I actually contemplated urging other people to join us, so I could cancel at the last minute and not have to feel like a heel who stood up a friend- Sort of like a social event bait and switch.

However, I worried that, for that maneuver, History would have judged me a monster.

So I went, and I actually had a great time. We saw Walk the Line (2005), and, as a Cash fan from a way back, I gotta say I enjoyed it quite a lot.

To me Johnny Cash brings back not only heady memories of my high school "searching for myself" days, but the wonderful image of my parents dancing in the kitchen to the radio... Cash will always be a bridge between me and my folks. That bridge might have felt like Arnhem at times, but at least the sounds were good. (They couldn't dig Leonard Cohen or Marilyn Manson, but they sure did love Johnny.)

Besides the memories from the music, it was just a really fine film. That “Get Rhythm” scene was shot and cut sooooo freaking good. It’s hard to imagine a visual image as rocking as that song, but those travels, cuts and pans really sent me. Beauty!

Further, as one who is seldom ever seen not dressed in all black, that movie made me feel cool by association… That sounds a bit teeny bopper, but, hell, I feel great. Even better now that I have a whole new fleet of black shirts and pants… and red socks to match.

And that’s the first time in days that I’ve been able to say I feel anywheres near good, so bless you Johnny!

(But I do hope that this apathy goes away soon… Those upper pills started to look like a good idea to me tonight. Not V.G.)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger